It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Project Membership vs Team Membership

John Schilt (6111822) | asked Jul 31 '12, 11:32 p.m.
edited Aug 01 '12, 8:14 p.m.
Hi,

I usually invite students to the project with their email address...  They get an email, come to hub.jazz.net, create a Jazz ID and accept their invitation.

However, there are some variations here, and I'd like to understand the differences :

Situation : We get the students to create their Jazz ID's before the class / labs, and then make them a member of a Team that we have created (and assign a Role) . . . 

This seems to work - so, student is NOT a member of the Project, but a member of a Team.  Also, they get notified thet they have been made a member of a Team - but do not seem to have to Accept an Invitation.

Issue : only Issue I had was when this student started creating some tasks (Deliverable) and then a Plab.  JazzHub gave some errors when we tried to create new Tasks (in the Plan display) . . .

Bottom line :  is there an issue with having the Student as a member of a Team but NOT a member of the Project ?    Should the process make the Student a Member of the Project automatically ?

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Aug 01 '12, 2:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If a user is a member of a team area (with the correct role) but not a member of the project area, then everything will work fine as long as the user only makes changes to artifacts that are owned by the team area.  Because the artifact being changed is owned by the team area, RTC will notice the user's role in the team area and will use that role when calculating permissions and preconditions.

But when the user tries to change artifacts that are owned by the project area, RTC will not notice the role assignment in the team area.  RTC will only look at the permissions and preconditions for the Everyone role, and that role is less likely to allow the operation.

I don't know if this is what happened in your case, because you didn't say what the error messages were.  But it's a reasonable explanation if the plan or the task being created is owned by the project area.

In summary, the user should be made a member of the project area (with an appropriate role) if you want to give the user permission to change project area level artifacts.  If the user should only be changing team area artifacts, then the user may not need to be a member of the project area.

-- David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team
John Schilt selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
John Schilt (6111822) | answered Aug 01 '12, 2:51 a.m.
Thanks David.

I thiink my issue was when the 'Student' (only a member of the Team and not a member of the Project) tried to create a Deliverable (Work Item) and Link it to the Assignment (Work Item).

The Deliverable was owned by the Team - so no issue here

The Assignment was unassigned (so, probabably treated as a Project Area artefact) and probably why RTC gave us the error.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.