It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Configuring RAM to have its repository on a network file share

Allen Earnest (6212437) | asked Nov 22 '13, 10:24 a.m.
 Hello

We are setting up a training instance of RAM on our network.  We want to store the artifacts on a network file share instead of on a local server drive.

I've mapped the network file share as the R: drive, and then configured RAM to use the file share like this:

Persist folder:  file:/R:/RAMUAT/Persist
Local storage folder: file:/R:/RAMUAT/Local
Index folder: file:/R:/RAMUAT/Index
But this doesn't seem to work.  When I go to the RAM website, I get a configuration error that tells me that these locations are invalid.

I have validated the locations and ensured no typos and all subfolders are present.  Not sure where to go or what to try next.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Nov 22 '13, 5:58 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The only time RAM expects the persist area to be on a shared drive is in a cluster. If you put your persist on a shared drive, but run multiple instances of RAM against that shared drive (either using the same database instance or different database instances) it will cause collisions and things will quickly go badly wrong.  Only when running in a correctly set up cluster will the persist area be correctly shared. So don't do it.

Also, the local and index should never be shared. Each running instance of RAM expects to have its own local and index area so that it can do with it what it wants. Otherwise you will have collisions. Again, do not make it shared.

If you are trying to start up training instances with a pre-configured RAM then you should instead copy the persist area to the individual instances and restore database backups that were taken at the same time as the shared persist was created. But each instance must be separate in both diskspace and database instances.
Allen Earnest selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Naseem Haq (1) | answered Jul 27 '14, 8:08 a.m.
Hi

So it impossible to have a single RAM server instance and the persist folder mapped to a network drive?

Kind Regards,
Naseem

Comments
Allen Earnest commented Jul 28 '14, 8:28 a.m.

Apparently so.  I tried every trick I could think of.  Never got it to work.

Naseem Haq commented Aug 02 '14, 10:51 a.m.

Successfully configured single server instance of RAM with persist folder mapped to network storage. 

As Rich Kulp said you should never share local or index folders. 

Our configuration is 
RAM v7.5.1.1
Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit
VMware ESX

Let me know if interested to change persist folder configuration from local hard disk to network storage.

Kind Regards,
Naseem

Alberto Teodoro commented Aug 11 '15, 10:41 a.m.

Hi Naseem,

I have the same problem.
I'm interested how have you resolved it.
Many thanks in advance
Alberto

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.