It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best way to import 2000+ artifacts into RRC with parent/child relationships?

Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | asked Sep 24 '13, 8:18 a.m.
Hello,

I have an RRC 4.0.0.1 installation and my task is to import 2000+ artifacts in an Excel file that contain parent/child relationships.  I have looked into the two possibilities which are CSV and ReqIF, and neither one of them seems to be able to do what I need:

CSV: cannot be used to ... create links to and from artifacts
ReqIF: Used to exchange requirement artifacts and associated metadata between software tools from different vendors.

ReqIF seems like a closer fit, but after trying a few scenarios, I realised that each ReqIF import will create new artifact types and attributes despite having pre-configured my project area.  Also, it requires an export of an existing project area wheras in my case I have an Excel sheet.

I don't think that my requirement is uncommon and I am curious to see what I can do to simplify this massive import.

Best regards,

Andrew

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Sep 24 '13, 9:04 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you were using RRC 403/404 I would suggest CSV, because in these later releases you can express parent/child relationships as you import into a module ( https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DNGCSVImpExp ).

In the same releases you can import a document (Word, RTF, or OpenDocument Text) and auto-generate individual requirements in hierarchical relationships in the module based on the outline level in the document. This is good if you have rich text (which CSV does not support). But it doesn't provide an easy way to import attributes at the same time (which CSV does well).
Andrew Trobec selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Sep 24 '13, 9:13 a.m.

Thanks for the update.  I'll look into an RRC 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 upgrade.

Taly Hotimsky commented Oct 01 '13, 5:39 p.m.

Hi. I have a similar challenge, but need to also be able to update the requirements later from the spreadsheet.

That's why we're leaning to ReqIF (CSV doesn't address that as far as I know). So we'd need to build the XML from scratch to match the spreadsheet, which is proving not an easy task.
Are there any recommendation as to how to transform a spreadsheet into an importable ReqIF file?

This is true for two separate projects I'm working with. Both on RRC 4.0.2.

long TRUONG commented Jul 16 '14, 6:23 p.m. | edited Jul 16 '14, 6:23 p.m.

@Taly: This may be too late to be of any help to you, but I am getting  into using reqIF, and wonder if your task may be made easier by exporting existing artifacts to a reqIF file then update the file with infos from the CSV, with an approriate script: As long as reqIF makes the roundtrip on import using the artifact IDs which would have been previously exported to the reqIF file. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.