It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Export RRC Atifact Template

Wade Towles (33168) | asked Aug 20 '13, 5:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is it possible to export an RRC Artifact Template from one JAZZ server to be imported into another JAZZ implementation, and if so, how is it done?

3 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Aug 21 '13, 5:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Wade,

Here is the help instructions for downloading and uploading the project template archive file

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_manage_project_templates.html?resultof=%22exchange%22%20%22exchang%22%20&scope=null

Also here is a link to all exchange methods and there description (and restrictions)

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/r_compare_data_exchange.html&scope=null

And what it says for project templates:

You can copy project templates to other servers; for example, from a staging server to a production server. Project templates are useful for creating requirements projects. You can create or modify a template by using another template. Project templates are also useful for sharing custom project templates that are applicable to other repositories.

For a list of items that can be included in or excluded from a template, see Creating templates.

Restriction:
  • A project template cannot be used as a project backup because artifact history, comments, reviews, and access controls are not preserved.
  • A project template does not preserve the links that are outside of the artifacts in the template.

Comments
Wade Towles commented Aug 21 '13, 9:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks Robin, but this information is for Project Templates or Requirements Artifacts inside of projects.  What I am looking for in this case, however, is how to export the Artifact Templates inside of a project to a file that can then be imported into another project.  For example, if I create a Meeting Minutes template in a project, and I want to use it in another project, how do I export that 1 artifact template to another project.  In the Modify Project Properties settings under the Templates tab, there is an option to import, however, how can I create that object that can then be imported?

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Aug 21 '13, 5:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Unfortunately you cannot export artifacts from one project to another (the projects might have completely different type systems). 

Comments
Wade Towles commented Aug 22 '13, 12:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I understand that you cant export the artifacts themselves, however, what I don't understand is why you cant export a template for use in creating a new artifact.  The purpose of a template is to re-use it - it doesn't make sense that you have to create a whole new project template to utilize artifact templates that you have created. 

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Aug 22 '13, 9:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Artifact templates include attributes (just like normal artifacts), and since attributes are specific to projects, it's not straightforward to copy (or export/import) a template (or artifact) from one project to another.  That's not to say that it can't be done or isn't important.  I'm pretty sure we have existing enhancement requests on this, but I can't find any at the moment.  Feel free to open your own if you can't find any. 

Comments
Wade Towles commented Aug 22 '13, 8:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks Kirk - I have created an enhancement request for this effort - Work Item 78128.

https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/78128

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.