It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to notify an user about approval if he/she is not part of the team

Karthik Krishnan (8825117163) | asked Sep 16 '13, 11:37 a.m.
When a someone who is not part of the team (but a RTC user) is added as in approval, the emails are not sent since this user isn't part of the team

The user never gets notified and hence no approvals. 

What are the recommended solutions? Of course inviting the user before adding approval but does not work always as the user who is adding approver will not know who if the adding user is part of this team (oversight?)

Is it somehow possible to configure in RTC to send emails to users even though they are not part of the team as soon as they are mentioned with @ and added in approvals

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Feb 21 '14, 5:12 a.m.
edited Feb 21 '14, 5:28 a.m.
I was investigating this issue. Here are results:

E-mail notifications are not sent to the members not belonging to TA or PA when project visibility is set e.g. to project members only. These people cannot see this work item and could not do anything about this project. Moreover e-mail notifications could cause that these users saw data they must not see.

Anyway It could be good to provide any warning when you subscribe or ask for approval the user not belonging to PA/TA. There is enhancement opened for that: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=304306

The warning is currently displayed when you assign work item to given person.

Comments
Piotr Aniola commented Feb 21 '14, 5:25 a.m.

Good Investigation Krzyś!

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 16 '13, 4:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have never heard of email notifications being limited to the team to which a work item is assigned, and I personally commonly get email notifications from such work items.  So I would look at your RTC configuration to see why this might be happening.  For example, do those users get other kinds of email notifications from RTC?

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented Sep 17 '13, 3:40 a.m.

Hi Geoff,

Is there a place in the Project area configurations where I can look for this? 
The email configurations for the users are set to default (RTC Out of the box settings) 
Thanks 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 17 '13, 11:09 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

All I personally have ever done is this regard is adjusting my own email preferences (on your user profile page, select the Mail Configuration tab).   If nothing unusual shows up there on the users that aren't getting email, your best bet would be working with Rational support, unless someone else on the forum has a suggestion.

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 21 '14, 8:50 a.m.
Tested in RTC 4.0.5 and 

If a user is not part of the Team/Project areas, they don't get notified even if the user is added as approvals of work items 

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Feb 03 '14, 11:35 a.m.

Hi Karthik,
I have also reproduced the issue. There should be work item defect created for that soon.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.