It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Adding a part to a sketch or a sketch to another sketch fails

Nicolas Echavarria (34813) | asked Sep 11 '13, 1:12 p.m.
retagged Sep 16 '13, 8:18 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
RRC v4.0.0.1

Hello,

We are able to create individual parts and sketches without problems.
However, when we try to insert a "part" or "sketch" via the "Artifacts>Existing Artifacts>Part" or via "Artifacts>Existing artifacts>Sketch" we are able to select the part or sketch but after selecting it nothing is reflected on the screen.

Not even after saving and refreshing.
We've tried using IE or FF in both Win7 and Win8 with reinstalled add-ons and nothing seems to work.

The reusability feature of the UI editor is a big plus for us.

Please advise,

Thanks a lot!

Nicolas E.

Comments
Ted Mayer commented Sep 11 '13, 3:36 p.m.

Hello Nicolas,

Just curious, are you able to add images to a sketch?

If you look at the Links on the right, do you see the embedded links to the parts and sketches being created?

Nicolas Echavarria commented Sep 11 '13, 4:14 p.m.

Hello Ted!

Thanks a lot for your response!
Yes, I'm able to add images to a sketch, only able to see them after saving and in "view" mode, in edit mode a red x shows, but overall the images addition works.

As for the links on the right, YES! they are being created as embeds but no part or sketch is shown.

Let me know....

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ted Mayer (47649) | answered Sep 11 '13, 4:00 p.m.

I believe that we have seen this issue before, the issue has to do with cookies that are store on the browser. Let's try this.

Log out of RRC, close all browsers, except one clear the cache/cookies from the browser, then login to RRC using :/rm/web"

https://<hostname>:<port>/rm/web

Then attempt to add a existing part/sketch again.
Nicolas Echavarria selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nicolas Echavarria commented Sep 11 '13, 4:32 p.m.

Ted,

Just followed your instructions... it worked... but partially.
Why partially?
The sketch imports and shows in the screen ok, but when we try to add a second part or sketch to the screen, a second part is NOT added, but the first one is changed for the second selected part... so we are not able to import more than one sketch....

We are constructing a portal mockup with portlets as "sketches" so we are not able to create the complete pages as we're unable to import all the portlets separately...

Thanks again Ted!

Let me know...

Stef van Dijk commented Sep 12 '13, 5:22 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Nicolas,
If you are attempting to add multiple sketches inside one sketch, that's not how sketches work. Dropping one sketch inside another is actually defining the "master" sketch for the new sketch, and there can be only one master. You will either need to change those sketches to be Parts instead or maybe consider looking at something like the Storyboard artifact (or Screenflows).

Nicolas Echavarria commented Sep 12 '13, 6:52 p.m.

Stef,
Thanks a lot for your response!
Understood. Now, I went ahead to convert the existing portlet sketches into parts, by means of selecting everything on the screen and "Additional Actions" > "Save selection as user interface part" .
Then I went ahead to the artifacts browser and opened up the newly created part just to find out a empty part with the default blue rounded square content area message.
1.) Am I doing things correctly? My guess is that creating parts for each portlet (550px x 280px or so) would be the way to go to then calling them in a sketch, "instantiating" them according to the user profile GUI. But, its not working...
2.) The information in the infocenter for the RRC browser add-on and overall GUI creation is pretty barebones... what's the main source of information to learn all the ins and outs of it?
3.) What's the suggested platform for the add-on, we've found it pretty unstable what's the silver-bullet platform/browser for it?

Stef van Dijk commented Sep 13 '13, 1:26 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I tried to reproduce the "Save selection as user interface part" issue, but could not. It worked for me both in 4.0.0.1 and 4.0.3, so I'm not sure what might be happening there. As an alternative, you could create new part artifacts and then select the pieces in the sketch and use copy/paste to transfer them. But you'll have to create the initial container in the part first, and I understand this is not ideal and the action should work.

As for the documentation, I'm not sure I have any good sources for you there. Maybe someone else knows of some more informative sources. Having been a developer on the sketching editors way back in the day before there was a CLM, I just know how things used to work and haven't really thought about what documentation might or might not exist.

As for suggested platform, obviously the add-on only works on Windows and my experience is that it works better on the recent Firefox browsers than Internet Explorer. There were also a few issues when the editors were moved to being a browser add-on (it used to be an Eclipse-based rich client), so if possible, it might not be a bad idea to move to a more recent version of RRC.

Nicolas Echavarria commented Sep 24 '13, 9:09 p.m.

Stef,
We changed all sketches to parts with copy and paste (on the same browser windows). Then, we added the parts to a single sketch and it worked.

Thanks so much!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.