It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Long description Requirements do not show the description on RRC List View

Suresh peela (3134) | asked Feb 04 '13, 12:44 p.m.
retagged Feb 15 '13, 2:39 p.m. by Douglas Bush (28125)
 Hi,

I have uploaded a set of requirements in to RRC 4.0 via the csv upload. There were a few requirements that had pretty long descriptions. After a successful upload, I try to list the requirements in a view with Description as one of the display columns. The issue is that the Reqs with long descriptions show empty descriptions in the list view, but when I click on that particular requirement, the description shows just fine in the requirement details. 

Is it normal that long descriptions are not shown even partially in a list view? 

Also if I replace the long description with a shorter one, the descriptions shows just fine in a list view. You can see below that CorpSec-161 doesnt show its description.

Req 161 description not shown in list view

Comments
Robin Bater commented Feb 06 '13, 1:49 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

When you say description are you referring to the small text field in the attribute section or the primary text field for the main content area?

Typically the description field is used for a short overview of the content, with the main rich-text content of the requirement contained in the primary text field.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Gabriel Ruelas (1.1k13) | answered Feb 06 '13, 9:49 a.m.
Hi,
     Currently there is a limitation for description fields. If the size of the description is larger that 1024 bytes then it is not shown.
Suresh peela selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Feb 13 '13, 2:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Suresh, I think it might be worth opening a defect for this if you don't mind (let me know if you want me to open one for you, but it'd be better coming from you ;). 
Even if we can't show the entire description, we should show a truncated description, rather than nothing (which implies there isn't one). 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.