It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can a project be moved to a component in a different workspace?

Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | asked Sep 06 '13, 12:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have some utility code in a project in our main component in our main stream.  I'd like to move it to a different 'tools' component in a different stream.  Is this possible to do directly (well, via workspaces I mean)?  It seems like it's currently restricted to moving within the same repository workspace (at least in the UI).

Currently I have two separate repository workspaces for the two streams, both loaded into the same Eclipse workspace.  I suppose I could:
  • unload tools component from my tools workspace
  • load tools component into my main dev workspace
  • move project using Team > Move in Repository...
  • change flow target for tools component to tools stream
  • deliver tools component
  • unload tools component from dev workspace
  • accept changes for tools component into tools repository workspace and reload it
But it would be nice if this was supported directly.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 06 '13, 4:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Looks like the internal operation is restricted to moving between components in the same workspace.

It might be easier if you add the tools component from your dev workspace to your tools workspace:

1. Add dev-tools component to tools workspace, don't load it
2. Perform the move in repository
3. Deliver the changes
4. Unload then drop the dev-tools component from your tools workspace, keep the content on disk
5. Accept the changes into the dev workspace

Something like that might be less loading of content.
Nick Edgar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nick Edgar commented Sep 07 '13, 1:38 p.m. | edited Sep 07 '13, 1:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm actually moving a project from a dev component/stream to a tools component/stream, but I get the point, thanks.  And thanks for the timely response, Tim.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.