It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem with Design Manager and LDAP

lionel mommeja (60168) | asked Aug 29 '13, 11:51 a.m.
I have installed jts/ccm/qm/rm/dm 4.0.3 on a windows server on tomcat. I have configured the server to point to a LDAP (IBM Bluepages). That works, but there is a problem with design manager.
- I am signing in with my bluepages id with no problem on JTS and RM.
- However, when I sign in on Design Manager, I don't see my name (top right) but ADMIN, although I have disabled ADMIN.
- In the SETUP, Tomcat configuration files are generated automatically for me for all applications but not for Design Manager. As I suspected that I should do something for DM, I have copied the file generated for RM (web.xml) to the DM webapp. Was that a good idea? Maybe I should have done nothing?

========== As you can see here, web.xml files are generated for all apps but not for dm...
Tomcat configuration files were created:
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\webapps\jts\WEB-INF\web-LDAP20130829113940.xml,
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\webapps\ccm\WEB-INF\web-LDAP20130829113940.xml,
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\webapps\qm\WEB-INF\web-LDAP20130829113940.xml,
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\webapps\rm\WEB-INF\web-LDAP20130829113940.xml,
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\webapps\admin\WEB-INF\web-LDAP20130829113940.xml
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf\server-LDAP20130829113940.xml.
To complete the LDAP configuration, please replace existing files with them and restart Tomcat.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francois-xavier Panaget (58914) | answered Aug 29 '13, 1:42 p.m.
 Hi Lionel,

DM delegaties the authentication to JTS. 
I would not advise you to copy around the the web.xml generated for the other applications like RM. 
If the setup is not creating the correct web.xml file for DM although it is needed ...  I would see that as a bug. But again here I do not believe it is needed.

Regards
Francois
lionel mommeja selected this answer as the correct answer

4 other answers

permanent link
Kot T. (1.5k11319) | answered Aug 29 '13, 12:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 30 '13, 10:44 a.m.

Hi Lionel,

It looks like the user can authenticate, but is recognized in DM. When 'ADMIN' shows up in place of the actual log-in user, it is because the user record does not exist in the repository.

Did you get any error during the jts/setup? Are all the applications finalized successfully?

In JTS/admin > Home page, do you see DM listed at the bottom of the page?

permanent link
lionel mommeja (60168) | answered Aug 29 '13, 1:01 p.m.
Kot,
thank you for your prompt reply.
Yes all applications finalized successfully.
Yes DM is listed.

In DM, when trying to create a Project Area I am getting the following exception (see at the end).
The user ADMIN (which again is not the user id I used to sign-in) has no licence. ADMIN does not exist and hence has no licence. I think the following error is expected. I do have licenses attached to my own user id (mommeja@fr.ibm.com)

I appreciate your help.
Lionel

================== Exception when trying to create a project area in DM:
An error response was received from the Jazz Team Server. Status=400. Message: CRJAZ1848E To do the "com.ibm.team.process.server.saveProjectArea" operation, you must have one of the following licenses that are installed on the server: Analyst, Contributor, Contributor, Contributor, Stakeholder, Stakeholder, Designer, Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms, Quality Professional, Practitioner, Developer, Contributor, Contributor. The server administrator can assign licenses.
Caused by:
An error response was received from the Jazz Team Server. Status=400. Message: CRJAZ1848E To do the "com.ibm.team.process.server.saveProjectArea" operation, you must have one of the following licenses that are installed on the server: Analyst, Contributor, Contributor, Contributor, Stakeholder, Stakeholder, Designer, Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms, Quality Professional, Practitioner, Developer, Contributor, Contributor. The server administrator can assign licenses. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.LicenseNotGrantedException)

Comments
Francois-xavier Panaget commented Aug 29 '13, 7:04 p.m. | edited Aug 29 '13, 7:08 p.m.

Lionel,

Are you certain that your user (mommeja@fr.ibm.com) has a valid license?
For example, if you run the setup again as mommeja@fr.ibm.com, are you seeing proper licences assigned in the Setup User Registry page?
Once you have checked that:
- logout completly the setup
- close your browser
- restart your browser
- logon to DM or JTS
Are you still logged on on as ADMIN?
I got a similar behavior and the above steps resolved my problem.

I hope this will help you
Regards
Francois

permanent link
lionel mommeja (60168) | answered Aug 30 '13, 9:30 a.m.
That was right, DM does not need a generated web.xml file when using LDAP and Tomcat on version 4.0.3
I am curious to know if others - who think they are more clever than the tool - like me, will fall in the same problem. ;)

Comments
Kot T. commented Aug 30 '13, 9:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It's good to know that the web.xml is not needed for DM. Just to understand the solution here, was the issue resolved after logging out and restart the browser OR after reverting the web.xml back to the original copy?

lionel mommeja commented Aug 30 '13, 9:43 a.m.

Kot,
I did not  replace web.xml with the old one.

• I first tried to uninstall DM and re-install it. But JTS did not detect the new re-installed DM
  • So I un-installed all the tools and re-installed them. I preferred to start from a very clear baseline. 

Kot T. commented Aug 30 '13, 10:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Lionel,

Thank you for your response...and to share your solution. I learned something here as well :-)

permanent link
lionel mommeja (60168) | answered Aug 30 '13, 11:58 a.m.
Oooops, I still have the problem when correct case is not set when I sign-in AND use Design Manager.
Problem:
  • In JTS advanced properties, I have set Use case insensitive user ID matching to true.
  • My user id in LDAP is MOMMEJA@fr.ibm.com
  • But when I sign in with mommeja@fr.ibm.com in Design Manager, then my userid becomes ADMIN.
  • In the same session, if I navigate to RM then my userid changes back to Lionel Mommeja as expected.
  • When I sign in with MOMMEJA@fr.ibm.com there is no problem.
  • Therefore I believe the problem with my web.xml file was not directly the root cause
  • Instead, I believe the root cause of the problem is the fact that DM/Tomcat/LDAP does not support case insensitive user ID matching (and I suspect this is because DM is delegating authentication to underlying layers whereas other applications - such as RM - don't, as specified by François above)
  • This problem is very similar: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21431626

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.