It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I fix DOORS NG database issue

Keith Collyer (456511) | asked Aug 22 '13, 10:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
retagged Sep 03 '13, 2:14 p.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
I have been running DNG locally on my workstation for some time and recently I have been unable to access the database contents. I can go to the Jazz Server Administration pages and use those, but I am not able to use any other applications. The diagnostics I get are:
ERRORS:
   CRJZS5758E The information in the index for private applications might be incorrect because the time stamp of the triple live index, 2013-07-30T11:26:33.640Z, is ahead of the time stamp of the database, 2013-07-26T15:46:38.538Z. Stop the server and either restore the index that corresponds to the database or recover the correct index by running this command: "repotools-jts -reindex".
   CRJZS5758E The information in the index for private applications might be incorrect because the time stamp of the text live index, 2013-07-30T11:26:33.640Z, is ahead of the time stamp of the database, 2013-07-26T15:46:38.538Z. Stop the server and either restore the index that corresponds to the database or recover the correct index by running this command: "repotools-jts -reindex".
   CRJZS5756E The information in the index for the /rm application might be incorrect because the time stamp of the text live index, 2013-07-30T11:26:33.640Z, is ahead of the time stamp of the database, 2013-07-26T15:46:38.538Z. Stop the server and either restore the index that corresponds to the database or recover the correct index by running this command: "repotools-jts -reindex".

I have run reindex (and rebuild) several times, but no improvement. When I use the "Home" drop-down I get:

"empty" Home menu

I have reviewed related issues (https://jazz.net/forum/questions/116734/how-to-get-jts-out-of-read-only-mode, https://jazz.net/forum/questions/108221/crrrw7284e-why-do-i-get-rrc-bad-behaviour) and followed recommendations, but to no avail.

Any clues?

Comments
Paul Ellis commented Aug 23 '13, 4:35 a.m. | edited Aug 23 '13, 4:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Keith,

The message is stating that your database clock could be out of sync with your application.  Is your database on the same workstation as your CLM apps?  The two previous posts you list mention all the re-index commands to be run, but if your database time is the same as the workstation time, then maybe the re-index is not working.

Every instance of this message I can find from previous situations was resolved using the indices directory clean-up and repotools-jts re-index -all command.  However, this command may be failing.  Can you check the log and see if there are any issues completing this command?

It might even be worth changing the location of the indices and re-run it just in case you're hitting a disk corruption, although that would seem less likely.

Please append/edit any errors in the jts.log and/or reindex log here and we'll go again.

Keith Collyer commented Aug 23 '13, 6:02 a.m. | edited Aug 23 '13, 6:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Paul, I usually leave grubby tool details to experts, but here, I am trying to become the expert ;)

The server and applications are on the same workstation.

When I hunted for jts.log, I found I had two copies, one in:
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\logs\jts.log

and the other in:
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer_1\server\logs\jts.log

That's not in itself surprising as I had done an upgrade installation from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 and thought I had caught everything in the instructions. However, the entry in JazzTeamServer is dated yesterday, the one in JazzTeamServer_1 is dated 30 July, just before I went on two week holiday and before I noticed any issues. So, definitely something odd here. I had installed new versions of the applications and database into JTS_1, and was (I believed) running in that. However, the "Start Jazz server" shorcut points to:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c cd /d "C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server" & "C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer_1\server\server.startup.bat"

<more follows>

Keith Collyer commented Aug 23 '13, 6:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

<the rest>

so that is weird. Somehow, I have been running the JTS_1 startup in the JTS directory. Not surprisingly, things have got confused. It's a wonder it ever worked!

So, the question is, how do I get out of this? I don't have much data, just the built in samples and restored archives, so if the answer is "blow it all away and start again", that's irritating, but might be best. If so, what is the best way of going about this? Uninstall everything and install 4.0.4 afresh?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Aug 27 '13, 10:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Keith,

I am not used to forums, but PMRs and it is certainly easier to follow PMRs!

OK, it is hard to know where your data is being read from, even if the logs are writing to the old JTS location.  I think it would make sense to simply re-run the JTS/setup command and re-point to the database from the 4.0.4 installation (JTS_1).  If you're using Derby, then this is potentially even simpler as you can just replace one set of files with another...or you could formerly go through the backup procedures described in the info center:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/topic/com.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc/topics/t_backup_derby.html
Of course, what it sounds like, to me, is that your log4j.properties file is pointing to the old location for logging, but that can easily be checked/changed, as per:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/topic/com.ibm.rational.clm.doc/topics/c_logfiles_loc.html

Of course, you need to correct your shortcuts too.  Simply remove the 4.0.3 references.

If you are using Derby and you're sure you know where the data is installed, you could just re-install 4.0.4 if you're certain the upgrade was successful.  There should be upgrade logs to indicate that, as a separate issue.

Let me know if you need any further info.  It would help to know your DB, but either way it should be easy to correct any teamserver.properties links to your databases to get just one installation correctly working.

Keith Collyer selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Keith Collyer commented Aug 30 '13, 11:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks, Paul

in the end, I uninstalled completely and re-installed. I didn't have enough data to worry about, mostly just from me learning and restored material, so it wasn't too bad.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.