It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we have a captcha on the forum?

Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | asked Aug 02 '13, 4:19 a.m.
Is it possible to have a captcha on the forum?
Today when I opened the questions page, there were 10 spam topics in a row.
This seems to have become a pattern lately.
I am not even able to report all these topics, as I have a 5 reports per day limit.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 02 '13, 5:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

It is picking up the last two weeks. If you retag it with spam, I can see it easily and ban the user.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Aug 02 '13, 11:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
We're looking into it. The forum software has a feature that will enable captcha for users with very little reputation.
Piotr Aniola selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Bo Chulindra commented Aug 29 '13, 2:33 p.m. | edited Aug 29 '13, 2:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Has there been any progress on this? I'm pretty sure I'm seeing spam every day now.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Aug 29 '13, 2:41 p.m.

We have it working on the staging server with the caveat that it's not yet working with https, so in some browsers it will require the catpcha without showing it (which is quite annoying and could totally block a valid user from posting). 

sam detweiler commented Aug 29 '13, 4:10 p.m.

unfortunately captcha  won't stop people posting

Karl Weinert commented Feb 06 '14, 1:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Would it be possible to give people a way to verify the registration to bypass the reputation restrictions?  Something where they can be vouched for by support or another member of the forum.

I see a lot of people that need to post screen shots but can't until they increase their reputations.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 06 '14, 1:44 p.m.

We're working on requiring email validation again as a way to curb the spam. That would also mean that everyone that posts would, by nature of the requirement, have enough points to post screen shots. In the meantime, feel free to bring any specific cases to my attention as I will simply add points to their reputation to enable uploading their image (I do this whenever I notice it already). 

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 07 '14, 7:34 a.m.

Millard, please work harder 8-)

I am banning like there is no tomorrow today.It is unbearable.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 07 '14, 7:37 a.m. | edited Feb 07 '14, 7:37 a.m.

I would be OK if the user needs to validate the E-mail. That would at least reduce the load. I hope....

Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 07 '14, 11:19 a.m.

I'm pushing as best I can, Ralph. FTR, I'm not actually on the jazz.net team and don't have access to the production servers. Sorry if my use of the "royal 'we'" made it seem as if I had more power to control this than I really do. 

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

2 other answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Feb 03 '14, 5:56 a.m.
edited Feb 03 '14, 5:57 a.m.
This how the forum look right now:

There's more, but it didn't fit in the screenshot.
"Out the instructions in order they are provided" is also superbowl links.

Comments
Francesco Chiossi commented Feb 03 '14, 6:01 a.m.

There have been more than 50 spam messages over the weekend.
This is making the forum unreadable.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 02 '13, 9:56 a.m.
come on.. other forum sites have solved this problem.. make new users wait a week before posting,
something... why should us USERs have to mark things as spam?

Comments
Allen Earnest commented Aug 02 '13, 1:33 p.m.

I'm glad I didn't have to wait a week to post my first question.  I like Mr. Millard's idea of doing it based on reputation.

sam detweiler commented Aug 02 '13, 1:42 p.m.

I agree, it was just a thought provoker.. sadly like everything, the few ruin it for the many.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Aug 02 '13, 1:51 p.m.

A while back we dropped email verification for new users because if someone had a question, we didn't want to slow them down in getting it posted. The increased spam is certainly a downside of that decision. Captcha processing for very low reputation users will slow them down a little on their first few posts but given the increase in spam may be a reasonable middle ground.

Piotr Aniola commented Feb 03 '14, 6:16 a.m.

Perhaps we can at least disallow posting by users who have not validated the email? I see the spammers/bots only have 0 or 1 reputation, which means they never validated.

sam detweiler commented Feb 03 '14, 6:34 a.m.

+1.. please stop this garbage..  

Benjamin Silverman commented Feb 07 '14, 11:05 a.m.

How about new users with less than 25 reputation points "await moderation" for new posts to  be seen by others?

Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 07 '14, 11:16 a.m.

Are you volunteering to be the moderator? We need to stop it from happening, not just move the problem around. 

Benjamin Silverman commented Feb 07 '14, 11:42 a.m.

No, but at this point if we can't stop it from happening at least intercept it so it doesn't clutter the forum.

sam detweiler commented Feb 07 '14, 11:51 a.m.

I volunteer to help review new posts for low reputation point users.

showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.