It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Monitor concurrent users

Sowmiya Kumaresan (1112) | asked Jun 11, 6:20 a.m.

Is there any tool to monitor concurrent users in the IBM ELM application.

We are using MBeans and AppD to track the concurrent users, but there is discrepancy in the report.
Apart from License Administration and Reporting Tool, kindly let me know if there are any other tool which can track the user license accurately.

2 answers

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.5k217) | answered Jun 11, 7:18 p.m.
Might be useful to tell us exactly what the discrepancy is and what you expect.

The official tool is the License Administration and Reporting Tool, which will give you the data you want.

What is your actual end goal here?

Comments
Sowmiya Kumaresan commented Jun 13, 6:59 a.m.

AppD(MBeans configuration) shows less consumption of concurrent user license whereas in server, the consumption is high.

Our goal is to monitor the user license accurately to maintain the stability of the application.
License Administration and Reporting Tool is in the testing process. Hence, apart from License Administration and Reporting Tool, are there any other tools available for the monitoring.
Please let me know if any further clarification needed.

Davyd Norris commented Jun 13, 7:18 p.m.

OK, so specifically which MBeans and counters are you collecting from? And where are you looking on the server to see the consumption that's higher?

Sowmiya Kumaresan commented Jun 20, 3:16 a.m. | edited Jun 20, 3:16 a.m.

MXbeans: com.ibm.team.foundation.activeservices:type=activeServicesSummaryMetrics(Active Services)

We check in the active user dashboard and calculate concurrent users in the server.

I'm checking on the which counter we are using, will update shortly

Davyd Norris commented Jun 20, 9:36 a.m.
That Bean shows Active Services, not active users - that won't correlate to the number of users for several reasons:
 - services can be run by the functional users between servers and by internal jobs
 - a user can still be logged in and browsing without triggering a service
 - most services are quite short running so they will complete before seeing them in your data

There are MBeans for the actual number of concurrent users in the system. This is also the data that you see in the license reports

Sowmiya Kumaresan commented Jun 21, 1:21 a.m.

Can you suggest the MXBeans which are used for the tracking concurrent users?

Davyd Norris commented Jun 21, 3:44 a.m.
The concurrentUsers attribute on the MBean you are using shows the number of concurrent users at the time the bean was created, but the one that is specific to this task is:

Floating license consumption statistics-Concurrent use

This facet captures the floating license consumption from the servers

Advanced Property

Member of LicenseMetricsCollectorTask
You enable this bean by setting Enable License Consumption Metrics MBean to true

Object Name

com.ibm.team.foundation.counters:name=<<contextRoot>>, 
               type=counterMetrics, 
               group=Floating license concurrent use,
               facet=All servers,
               counterName=*

Sowmiya Kumaresan commented Jul 08, 5:10 a.m.

Thank you for answering my questions promptly. It was really helpful in configuring suited MXBeans for our application.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 21, 1:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Consider to go here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/MBeansReference

Select your version and have a look at the common MBeans. There are several MBeans that show user related data.

Server Activity Summary Metrics MBean might be a candidate. I don't have current experience with them, so I can not be more specific.

Comments
Sowmiya Kumaresan commented Jul 08, 5:11 a.m.

Currently working on configuring Activity Summary Metric MBeans. Thank you the MXBean suggestion.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.