It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

If you still see spam, would you please be sure to tag it? (or email validation has been turned on)

Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | asked Feb 07 '14, 4:01 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
We have turned on email verification as a requirement to post a question at the forum.

If you are a new user, sorry for the extra step, but the spam was getting out of hand. Even with a captcha on the form, it still came pouring in. They are either using real people or captcha isn't good enough any more.

If you are a long-time user tired of spam, things should be immediately better. If some does get through, please tag and email a link to webmaster at jazz.net.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Feb 08 '14, 8:50 a.m.

you can only tag 5.. we have at east 10 new ones..

time for active moderation

sam detweiler commented Feb 08 '14, 10:33 a.m. | edited Feb 08 '14, 11:26 a.m.

I volunteer to help moderate

webmaster is very responsive..

Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 08 '14, 2:39 p.m.

I'm befuddled by this. When I created a test user with 1 reputation I was unable to post without validating my email and completing the captcha. Spammers must know a way around these things, perhaps security holes in the forum software. Grr.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 08 '14, 2:44 p.m. | edited Feb 08 '14, 2:46 p.m.

Perhaps not security holes. Checking the most recent spammer's recent activity list, they validated their email. Based on the current captcha setting, this person also had to complete that in order to post.

Benjamin Silverman commented Feb 13 '14, 7:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

How gracious of you to hide the spammers email address so he can't be reached by other spammers :)  I've noticed that the spam that has come up recently is all from users with 6 reputation points (for what that's worth).

Also, I've noticed that "tagging" as spam just bumps it up to the top until someone removes it.  At that point we're just helping them get more clicks!! :(

sam detweiler commented Feb 13 '14, 7:07 p.m.

I vote them down, but not edit. so they don't flow to the top.

Francesco Chiossi commented Feb 14 '14, 3:15 a.m. | edited Feb 14 '14, 3:17 a.m.

It would be nice to filter out the message tagged as spam from the main Questions view.
If abuse is a concern, you can raise the reputation requirement for retagging.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Feb 08 '14, 2:53 p.m.
I hate the idea of active moderation since we don't have dedicated moderators in every geography. If someone is willing to register, validate their email and enter the captcha to post, I'm not quite sure what can reasonably be done to stop them. I believe the web site team is looking at some other anti-spam measures (it should be possible to test the message content and simply refuse to post it) -- hopefully we can get that work pushed higher in their backlog.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Feb 08 '14, 3:44 p.m.

you don't have active responders in each GEO either..  again, some of us from the community can help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.