It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Preserving file history across a component move?

Michael Thompson (2112) | asked Jul 30 '13, 3:14 a.m.
Hi,

We're looking at refactoring a bunch of projects into various components, and I was wondering if there was a way to move an entire project from one component to another and still preserve the file history. Deleting the project from one component and adding it to another component is a solution, but I feel like there is probably something better out there....

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Mike

Accepted answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.3k27) | answered Jul 30 '13, 4:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you have loaded the repository workspace, in the Eclipse IDE, right click on the project and select Team -> Move in Repository.
Michael Thompson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Thompson commented Jul 30 '13, 4:41 a.m. | edited Jul 30 '13, 9:17 a.m.

Oh wow, awesome. I feel stupid for not seeing that.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 30 '13, 9:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that when moving a project from a source to a destination component, the pre-move history remains in the source component, but a link is created from the new post-move version of each file/folder created in the destination component back to the pre-move version in the source component.   Also note that if you still have a "pre-move" workspace/stream that shows the project still in the source component, if you check-in changes to the project into the source component, you cannot "accept/deliver" those changes to the destination component.  So it is best to defer moving projects between components until you only have one workspace/stream actively modifying that project.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.