It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to reuse workflow states in RTC?

Joann Luu (10710) | asked Apr 09 '15, 6:05 p.m.
edited Apr 09 '15, 6:07 p.m.

In my teams process template, we have developed work items with different workflows. Some workflows have states with the same name. All workflows have a "Created" state, and a "Closed" state. When querying on the Status of a work item type, we have multiple "Created" states to choose from because there is a unique "Created" state associated with each workflow. 

WorkflowA: Created -> Working -> Closed

WorkflowB: Created -> Working->Finalize->Closed

Query List for Status: Created (WorkflowA), Created (WorkflowB), Finalized, Closed(WorkflowA), Closed (WorkflowB).

You can see how this list can rapidly grow. Is it possible to either reuse the same Status in multiple workflows? Alternatively, is it possible to pre-filter the Statuses associated with the work item type when querying?

For example

WorkItemX has Workflow A.

WorkItemY has Workflow B.

If WorkitemX is selected in a query on Type, the available selection for a filter on Status would be "Created", "Working", "Closed". It would be known that these statuses are associated with WorkitemX's workflow and not any other workflow. 

One answer

permanent link
Tiago Moura (8387) | answered Apr 09 '15, 6:11 p.m.
I think you can't reuse like you are saying, but you can create status groups and use the group as a query filter. 

Comments
Joann Luu commented Apr 09 '15, 6:21 p.m. | edited Apr 10 '15, 1:20 a.m.

How would this be done? I do not see "Group" as an available Condition Selection when creating a query.

Tiago Moura commented Apr 09 '15, 6:41 p.m. | edited Apr 10 '15, 1:21 a.m.

State group is only available in plans, sry =(

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.