It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can Users Be Allowed to Change Resource Allocations Without JazzProjectAdmins Repository Permissions?

Richard Stewart (112) | asked Jul 16 '13, 4:41 p.m.

We are working in CLM 4.0.1.

We want to allow project area administrators the rights to change the resource allocation for plans within their project area, without allowing them the rights to change other project areas.

As far as we can tell, in order to allow users the rights to change resource allocations within their project areas, they must have the JazzProjectAdmins repository permission.

The problem with giving the users the JazzProjectAdmins repository permissions is that it gives those users access to ALL project areas. While we trust most of our users to not mess something up, we would just as soon allow them to only mess up their own project area, not everyone else's.

Is there a way to allow specific users the permission to change resource allocations within their project area without giving them access to other project areas?

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jul 16 '13, 6:05 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This work item describes some of the progress and thinking related to this issue: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=180015

Part of the complication here is that a user may work on multiple projects not all of which their project administrator may have access to. So even if the project admin can change the settings (and that may work in some later versions), they can't necessarily see all of the user's allocations (see Comment 11 in work item), so you can end up with over-allocation of the team member until someone that can see all of the associated project areas (like the user herself) fixes it. If the user is in project areas that have a common project administrator, this can work fine.

Comments
Richard Stewart commented Jul 17 '13, 11:55 a.m. | edited Jul 17 '13, 12:17 p.m.

@Millard Ellingsworth,

I have looked at and am familiar with work item 180015, and all the comments. I am aware that there are some concerns and niceties surrounding the ability to see a user's allocation across multiple project areas, and that it would be ideal to have those allocations, and the view of those allocations, be correct and consistent everywhere they can be viewed.

My question still remains unanswered. According to comment 6 in that work item, a project area administrator should be able to change work allocations and save them without having the JazzProjectAdmins repository permissions.

This is not the case in our environment. Our project administrators are still not able to change resource allocations without having the JazzProjectAdmins repository permission.

Ideally there would be consistency about the way allocations show up. As you stated in the last line of comment 11, someone should figure out what is really required and how it can be made to work.

But my question is how to make it work IBM has said it should work. How do you allow someone to make changes to the allocations in a project area without having to give them JazzProjectAdmin repository permissions? What settings do I have to have for the user to allow them this right?

John S F Lander commented Dec 17 '13, 4:43 a.m.

This is ongoing and I also have the same concerns / questions.

The majority of our set ups would have users in one or many teams under the same PA so would want the PA process owner to be able to change allocations of the users as per the Project Manager role.

Reference to 180015 - Millard has requested that an enhancement request be raised, has this been done ?

Millard Ellingsworth commented Dec 17 '13, 9:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Doing a quick read, @mfiedler asked @schneidg to submit such an enhancement. I searched RTC and Jazz Foundation and did not see such an item. Realistically, it's not Guido's job to write that up, but we do need someone (or a group of someone's) to take the lead and lay out, given the various interactions mentioned in the work item, how it ought to work. Having tried a couple times, we've not got it quite right, so it may make sense to partner on this. I'm willing to organize, participate and take notes -- who wants to help? Email me to coordinate: millarde via us.ibm.com.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.