It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to automatically generate an approval when a work item's state changes?

Marco Leung (2134) | asked May 03 '13, 1:47 p.m.
edited May 03 '13, 1:50 p.m.
I have a particular approval process for our team. A story is created initially in the "proposed" state. Once it is created, it needs to get approval from one of the Product Owners. RTC should also send an email to the Product Owners to get their attention as well. This process is applied universally across the "story" work item type. Once it is approved, the state needs to changed from "proposed" to "approved" and require approval and assignment from the scrum master before the state changes to "assigned". 

How can I customize this in RTC?

One answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered May 03 '13, 2:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
referring to the Approval Tracking for different work flows, it appears that the possible target state for Approval action is Approved.  So the part where you mention "Once it is approved, the state needs to changed from "proposed" to "approved"" seems to get covered by default or its probable that i missed your requirement.

i am not clear about the second part, do you wish to have multiple approvals as a precondition prior to assignment by scrum master?

to reach the Approval Trackings :
Open PA in Eclipse Client > Process Configuration Tab > Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Work Items > Approval Trackings

Comments
Marco Leung commented May 03 '13, 2:19 p.m.

Thank you for your answer. Is there a way to automatically generate an approval to be approved by the Product Manager once a story is created? Similarly, can a state change generate an approval for someone to sign off on (I know that an approval can generate a state change, but my case is the reverse of that)

Dinesh Kumar B commented May 03 '13, 2:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

so to address the default approval, you could explore work item templates.

steps:
create a sample work item with the specific approval already added
create a template using the work item with the approval
create subsequent work items using this template

below link about work item templates gives detailed steps on creating and using template to create new work items with specific pre-poulated field values:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/c_using_templates.html

if Product Manager here is name of a role with multiple project members taking up that role, you could create one work item template per specific member.

not the cleanest of solutions but something to start with...

for state change adding approvals, i don't see a direct way... i would have suggested to check attribute customizations but don't see approvals listed as one of the fields that can be safely read or written to... but you could give a deeper look into : https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization#Script_based_calculated_values

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.