It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Synchronize Attributes results in Error running operation 'Synchronizing Attributes' Key is already set for type "mediumStringExtensions" Key is already set for type "mediumStringExtensions"

Fred Atwater (23810) | asked Apr 19 '13, 9:36 p.m.
I have added new attributes to a work item type, including enumerations, and when I try to synchronize existing work items of this type, I receive the error message:

Error running operation 'Synchronizing Attributes'

Key is already set for type "mediumStringExtensions"
Key is already set for type "mediumStringExtensions"

I searched the Forum and cannot find an answer. Can someone help?
Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Apr 20 '13, 1:16 a.m.
There is similar forum entry here: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/107547/error-key-is-already-set-for-type-stringextensions-when-updating-a-multi-select-field

enumeration lists are added in 4.0: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0?p=news#enumeration-list

It is not clear your current server and client version, whether existing workitems were from old version of RTC or not. Please provide more details here(including the exact attribute type etc)
Fred Atwater selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Fred Atwater commented Apr 20 '13, 6:34 p.m.

We are using V 4.0.1 of RTC. We upgraded a month ago, so some of the work items may be from V 3.0.5. But the error occurs on work items created since the upgrade as well.

I have reused an enumeration that was created after the upgrade and created 8 new attributes with that type. They are enumerations, not enumeration lists.
I have added the attributes to the Editor Presentation of that work item, and when I open an existing work item of that type, the selection lists "unassigned", and has no selections to choose. New work items present the enumerations as they were designed to.

The article referenced above acknowledges the error, but does not have a solution.

Thank you for you assistance.

Don Yang commented Apr 21 '13, 8:16 p.m.

I tested with RTC 4.0.1 with an enumeration type of attribute, there is no problem for me to see the newly created attribute in the workitem and it has expected list there.
When I synchronize the existing workitem, I see the new attribute is added to the existing workitem(the workiterm created before I added the new attribute in 4.0.1)

===
when I open an existing work item of that type, the selection lists "unassigned", and has no selections to choose. New work items present the enumerations as they were designed to.
==
Do you mean that when creating the new workitem, it has no problem to list all the data in the new attribute? And in the old workitem which is from 3.0.1.5, you only see the selection lists unassigned with no other options?

What is your Eclipse client version? If you are using 3.0.1.x version, you may want to try with 4.0.1 client. Do you see the same result in Web client?

Fred Atwater commented Apr 22 '13, 1:13 p.m.

Hi Don,

The client version was the issue. I am getting a complete system upgrade later this week, so I was waiting to update my client. But I did install 4.0.1, and the error is gone.
Thanks again for the help. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.