It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Moving RTC DB2 database from Linux to Z/OS

Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | asked Apr 08 '13, 3:23 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I am looking to move my RTC database from DB2 Linux to DB2 Z/OS.  What is the best way to go about this?

2 answers

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Apr 08 '13, 3:26 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 The general steps for migrating databases is in the help here:
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_migrate_dbs.html&scope=null

For Z/OS it is very important to ensure that when the tar file is transferred from the Linux system to the Z/OS system that the file is transferred via the binary format.  Otherwise the tar file will become corrupted and will not be importable via the RTC repotool import.

~Spencer

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Apr 08 '13, 3:51 p.m.

Transfers of tar files in general should be done with ftp binary.  But if you have scp (why not) you'll never have to worry about that again.

permanent link
Andre Gusmao (802540) | answered May 26 '14, 11:27 a.m.
Considering that the migration is from DB2 Linux to DB2 zOS, is it really required to do the export and import through repotools? Isn't repotools required only when moving from one database vendor to another?
I am planning to use the standard DB2 backup and restore procedures instead of using repotools. Should I reconsider it? Is there any negative sides in my approach?

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented May 27 '14, 8:46 a.m.

Well, I've no DB2 on Z/OS experience, but I'm certain that one cannot restore db2 backup files across operating systems that I've used  I.e. no windows backup restore to Linux; linux <> AIX, etc.

Ralph Schoon commented May 27 '14, 9:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Andre, you have to check the DB vendors documentation in general. DB2 does for example not support just backup/restore for 32->64 bit and big endian->little endian, as far as I know. There is documentation abut when this is supported. Changing architectures is often a problem.

Andre Gusmao commented May 27 '14, 10:09 a.m.

Thanks Kevin and Ralph. I found another post that makes it very clear that DB2 standard backup/restore do not work across different platforms. He suggests the use of DB2 utility db2move, and in last case, repotools.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/138425/need-instructions-for-migrating-clm-database-from-db2-on-aix-to-db2-on-linux

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.