It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Need Instructions for migrating CLM database from DB2 on AIX to DB2 on Linux

Saurabh Malhotra (15231617) | asked Jan 13 '14, 12:58 p.m.
The instructions in the infocenter are for migrating from one database vendor to a different vendor:  http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_migrate_dbs.html&scope=null

Are these the same steps that one should follow when staying with DB2 but moving from AIX to Linux?

Would a regular database backup / restore also work? if not, what kind of issues might it cause?

Thanks!

Comments
Daniel Vaganek commented Jan 14 '14, 8:07 a.m.

Thank you Saurabh and Kevin!  Are there any documented steps to do this type of migration? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9185200) | answered Jan 13 '14, 3:15 p.m.
edited Jan 13 '14, 3:20 p.m.
DB2 Backup/restore between platforms will not work -- this a DB2 thing.  Alternately, db2move utility to export/import the database might work.   As a last resort the repotools-xxx -export to export from current DB2 platform followed by repotools-xxx -import should work albeit at the expense of many, many hours.  Said another way:  Were I performing this I would try the db2move export on aix, copy data files, db2move import on linux side.  And only resort to the repotools if the move fails.

repotools-xxx should be according to the CLM application being exported.  repotools-jazz, repotools-ccm, repotools-qm, etc.

Saurabh Malhotra selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Saurabh Malhotra commented Jan 14 '14, 7:09 a.m.

Thanks Kevin! 

Saurabh Malhotra commented Jan 14 '14, 7:14 a.m.

Actually could you explain a bit further as to why the DB2 Backup/restore won't work? Are there differences in DB2 on AIX vs Linux?

Kevin Ramer commented Jan 14 '14, 7:55 a.m.

Saurabh,
I don't know the real "why" as it was probably a design choice by DB2 development.  I'm sure there are technical reasons (e.g. tablespace container implementation, byte order, etc).  That backup files aren't cross-platform compatable is why the db2move utility exists.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.