It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

One flow for each Story in the taskboard for stories without subtasks

Christian Lindemann (323) | asked Mar 11 '13, 11:18 a.m.
Hi everyone,

when I look at my taskboard, I see one flow (line) for each story, grouping all the subtasks. The story then appears on the left, and the progress of the tasks is shown.
Sometimes a story is so small, that it would only have one task. In this case, we do not create subtasks, but work with the story directly.

In this case, all small stories without subtasks are shown within one flow. But we want to have a seperate flow for each of these stories.

Is it possible to configure this, or do I have to open a request for enhancement?

Using RTC 4.0.1.

Thx!

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Jul 15 '13, 12:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Not sure what you mean by "all small stories without subtasks are shown within one flow". In the Taskboard view, Stories are fixed in the left hand column and their tasks can be moved across the states (Open, InProgress, Closed, Verified -- at least in default Scrum template). The stories cannot be dragged, so they have no "flow".

If you are asking how you can make the stories draggable across the states in the Taskboard, I don't think that is currently possible with the default view. Since having hour estimates can be useful, have you considered making a single task for these stories that can be dragged and will also enable time-based estimating and tracking? Without a time estimate, how do you plan for these stories during sprint planning?

It is possible to use the Kanban customization for the Taskboard. This treats stories as independent and allows them to be dragged across the states, but you lose the relationship between stories and tasks for the other cases.

4 answers

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Jul 10 '13, 2:14 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
All Stories must have the same workflow- there is no way to differentiate the process config of a story that has tasks from one that does not. I would recommend creating a seperate work item type for the stories that do not have child tasks so that you can create a different workflow.

permanent link
Christian Lindemann (323) | answered Jul 16 '13, 1:50 a.m.
With 'flow' in this case, I meant the workflow which is shown between two lines.
If I have one Story with three tasks, there is one line above, and one below this set of WorkItems - independent of the state (could be one or up to three rows between those lines). This is what I meant with 'flow'.
If there are now stories without any task, besides the workflow or state flow, all of these stories are shown in one flow. I just wonder if this can be changed.
It is more a matter of representing these stories which do not have any subtasks, not of the workflow of the stories themselves.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 16 '13, 2:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you provide an image? I am not sure what you are asking for.

permanent link
Christian Lindemann (323) | answered Mar 11 '14, 4:25 a.m.
Sorry for the delay, but I do not have enough reputation to insert images.
@rschoon - I will send you the images to this.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 11 '14, 4:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Here the images
"Good Flow"

Good Flow

Bad Flow

Bad Flow

Millard Ellingsworth commented Mar 11 '14, 2:04 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

To clarify, while this may be a Taskboard, is it being used with the Kanban view? On the typical taskboard, stories "stick" to the left (as containers for the tasks) and only execution items move across the columns. 

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Mar 11 '14, 5:20 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Might be a bit off topic:
But I also have often stories without or just one subtasks and I'm look for a best practice to handle those.
I have created this new thread.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.