It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC: Unable to create symbolic link during load on AIX

Kun Xu (111) | asked Feb 26 '13, 2:27 p.m.
Hi,

I have a question about load on AIX to my GSA directory. I opened a CCO ticket and was pointed to here. I
copied the contents in COO here. Thank you for you help.

=======================================================================

XU, KUN (K.) wrote [2013-02-20 09:39:48 EST]:

Hi,

I loaded this workspace to my windows machine before, but I completely unloaded and deleted it from RTC client and tried to load it again to my GSA directory from backstreets(AIX). I have never done anything with this workspace under Linux.

All the symbolic links in that workspace had that problem. /admin/linux_ppc to plinux is one of them.

Contains : 0 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/linux_ppc to plinux because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links
Contains : 1 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/aix/xl.initSystem to ../common/xl.initSystem because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links
Contains : 2 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/TD2/plinux to linux_ppc because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links
Contains : 3 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/TD2/mac_osx to macos because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links
Contains : 4 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/TD2/tserverd.clients to aix/tserverd.clients because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links
Contains : 5 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/TD2/linux_ia32 to linux_ppc because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links
Contains : 6 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/TD2/linux_x86 to linux_ppc because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links
Contains : 7 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/plinux/xl.initSystem to ../common/xl.initSystem because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links

JONES, GLENN (R.G.) wrote [2013-02-20 08:35:24 EST]:
Hi I noticed the error message aid Contains : 0 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/linux_ppc to plinux because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links

Have you used this workspace with linux and now you are trying to use it with AIX?
XU, KUN (K.) wrote [2013-02-19 15:12:01 EST]:
Hi,

I have a workspace that loaded to my windows machine and the beginning. Then I unloaded and deleted it completely from my RTC client, and tried to load it to my AIX(backstreets) machine. But seems RTC stores some information about the underlying platform and failed to load the symbolic link on AIX.

Commands used on AIX:
-- AIX
export PATH=/gsa/tlbgsa/projects/c/cttools/java/aix/jre/bin:/gsa/tlbgsa/projects/c/cttools/rtc/aix/jazz/scmtools/eclipse:$PATH
export PATH=/gsa/tlbgsa/home/t/i/tiabuild/jazz/scmtools/eclipse:$PATH
lscm login --repository-uri https://compjazz:9443/jazz --username kunxu@ca.ibm.com --cache --nickname compjazz
lscm list workspaces -r https://compjazz:9443/jazz
lscm load 1060 -r https://compjazz:9443/jazz

Machine:
uname -a
AIX backstreets 1 6 00C586B04C00

ERROR output:
Downloading /admin/data/spu/spu/include/CL/device/internal/cl_kernel_builtin_inline_AccelCellSPU.h.obsf (785.1 KB)
com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.FileSystemStatusException: Status INFO: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 There were 8 errors. After correcing the problems, it is recommended that components be reloaded. The reload will be incremental, loading only the missing items. You can furter reduce the reload time by reloading just the projects out of sync. null children=[Status INFO: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 Unable o create symbolic link /admin/linux_ppc to plinux because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links null Status INFO: com.ibm.tea.filesystem.client code=0 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/aix/xl.initSystem to ../common/xl.initSystem because the underlying platform dos not support symbolic links null Status INFO: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/TD2/plinux to linux_pc because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links null Status INFO: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 Unable to create symolic link /admin/TD2/mac_osx to macos because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links null Status INFO: com.ibm.team.filesystemclient code=0 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/TD2/tserverd.clients to aix/tserverd.clients because the underlying platform does not suppot symbolic links null Status INFO: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/TD2/linux_ia32 to linux_ppc becase the underlying platform does not support symbolic links null Status INFO: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 Unable to create symbolic lik /admin/TD2/linux_x86 to linux_ppc because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links null Status INFO: com.ibm.team.filesystem.cient code=0 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/plinux/xl.initSystem to ../common/xl.initSystem because the underlying platform does not supprt symbolic links null]
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.load.MergeLoadMutator.reportErrorsAsException(MergeLoadMutator.java:1595)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.run(FileSystemOperation.java:102)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.LoadOperation.load(LoadOperation.java:939)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.LoadOperation$1.run(LoadOperation.java:593)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.resources.ResourceSharingManager$1.run(ResourceSharingManager.java:76)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1800)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.resources.ResourceSharingManager.runWithinFileSystemLock(ResourceSharingManager.java:88)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.runWithinFileSystemLock(FileSystemOperation.java:164)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.runWithinFileSystemLock(FileSystemOperation.java:144)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.LoadOperation.execute(LoadOperation.java:624)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.run(FileSystemOperation.java:89)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client.internal.subcommands.LoadCmd.run(LoadCmd.java:237)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client.internal.subcommands.LoadCmdLauncher.run(LoadCmdLauncher.java:193)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core.internal.SubcommandLauncher.run(SubcommandLauncher.java:651)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core.internal.SubcommandLauncher.doStart(SubcommandLauncher.java:398)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core.internal.SubcommandLauncher.run(SubcommandLauncher.java:175)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client.internal.daemon.CommandLineClient.handleRequest(CommandLineClient.java:125)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.http.ProtocolSwitchingHttpHandler.handle(ProtocolSwitchingHttpHandler.java:46)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.http.HttpConnection.readNextRequest(HttpConnection.java:628)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.http.HttpConnection$1.run(HttpConnection.java:470)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Contains : 0 Unable to create symbolic link /admin/linux_ppc to plinux because the underlying platform does not support symbolic links

Thank you.

Kun

4 answers

permanent link
Andrew Niefer (7135) | answered Feb 26 '13, 5:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
AIX should be able to create these symbolic links.

Has this install of the scmtools (/gsa/tlbgsa/projects/c/cttools/rtc/aix/jazz/scmtools) been run previously by root or another user?

There is a problem where if the scm tool is run as root, the some configuration files/folders are initially set up by eclipse as owned by root.  Then later when you run the scm tool as a normal user, this user does not have permission to access these files/folders.  This would prevent the tool from loading the native library it uses to work with symbolic links.

Also, perhaps not relevant, but you have two installs of the scm tools on your path?
export PATH=/gsa/tlbgsa/projects/c/cttools/java/aix/jre/bin:/gsa/tlbgsa/projects/c/cttools/rtc/aix/jazz/scmtools/eclipse:$PATH
export PATH=/gsa/tlbgsa/home/t/i/tiabuild/jazz/scmtools/eclipse:$PATH

Comments
Kun Xu commented Feb 27 '13, 9:49 a.m. | edited Mar 05 '13, 2:05 p.m.

Thank you Andrew for you answer.

I talked to our admin, and she mentioned that:

"So far you are the ONLY one that is having this problem so I will assume all setup for scm is correct."

I am not sure about how the scm tools installed, but at least it worked for all other people.

permanent link
Kun Xu (111) | answered Feb 27 '13, 10:25 a.m.
I was just told that there is a bug to load to GSA directory. I will try to load to a normal directory see if the problem is still there.

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Feb 27 '13, 12:34 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 What I have found is the symbolic link problem is usually from mixing 64 bit and x86 libraries.  Usually from a 64 bit JRE and x86 Eclipse or vice versa.

~Spencer

permanent link
Kun Xu (111) | answered Mar 05 '13, 10:25 a.m.
Tried load directly to AIX directory, still not working.

BTW I tried to load another workspace to GSA directory and it worked fine.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.