It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Nothing been changed, user getting started to not able to import model into Rhapsody DM project area

Jin Zhou (191711) | asked Feb 22 '13, 7:05 p.m.
Env:Rhapsody DM 4.x, Websphere Server v8.0.x, Derby DB, Websphere Federated repository.

User01 has ever successfully imported a model into the server project area, using floating license.
No change done on the User01 both for license and permission and project role info.

Later using User01 to add more  user accounts in Websphere and JTS, and then assigned the floating license to each user account.
After repeating user login/logout for each new added user account successfully.
Login DM by User01 again and  start to import model into the same project area, Client browser showing error message like " this user has no permission for this operation"

In dm.log, error message is "com.ibm.xtools.rmps.frontservice.jfsclient.RmpsRuntimeException: 400 (ERROR) :RHAPERR:invalidPermissions
"

In my understanding, only if design manager license is not granted or required roles are not assigned to the user, the import operation could be rejected.
Strange thing is, In this case, User01 has ever successfully imported a model into the same project area and no change been done on the User01 info itself. why after creating more user, suddenly importing operation is failed for User01?

Anyone can give me some hints?
Where I need to take a check?
What could be the possible causes?

Thank You

15 answers

permanent link
Michelle Crane (12322) | answered Feb 26 '13, 8:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Did you check out the link that Dan provided about managing licenses?  If you look at the issued licenses, are all of the floating licenses issued?  The documentation at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_managing_licenses.html shows how to see what licenses are issued. 

I have found the following instruction quite useful:

To view a list of issued client access licenses on the current license server:
  1. Click the Users tab and then select Acquired Floating Licenses.

Without seeing exactly what the customer is seeing, it's hard to debug any further.  I would probably check to make sure that the licenses do exist, and that they have been assigned correctly to the users.  I would do as you mentioned and test with a smaller number of users.  I don't see how going through set up again would affect the licenses.  However, I am not a license expert.

Comments
Jin Zhou commented Feb 28 '13, 8:00 a.m.

Thank you.

Customer sent me the screenshot for the user list who have been assigned with Rhapsody Design Manager Floating License. 

Also customer checked there is actually no Floating Licenses in use(checked out) when they got the import permission error.

Customer mentioned they haven't change any settings on the floating license or reinstall the license since the first time they have successfully imported a Rhapsody model.

Currently, I asked the customer to send me the license status page and Floating License consuming report up till now since they installed RDM.

Regards

permanent link
W Diu (58026) | answered Feb 26 '13, 9:42 a.m.
Hi Jin,

I had a quick look at the code and it is possible that it is not in fact a license issue; rather, it could be a permissions problem.

1) Please go to https://servername:port/dm/admin and from the Project Areas menu, choose Active Project Areas.
2) Choose the project area where you are trying to perform the import.
3) Verify the correct process has been chosen -- although you cannot change it at this point, this affects the permissions.
4) In the Members and Administrators sections, verify the users who are trying to import are included appropriately (by clicking the Add... link).
5) Click on the Permissions link at the left of the page.
6) As a test to verify that this will resolve the issue, click Project Configuration and ensure all items in the Permitted Actions box are checked.
7) Repeat this with Team Configuration and ensure all items in the Permitted Actions box are checked.
8) Verify that the permissions problem is now resolved and the import now works.
9) Repeat steps 6 and 7 but set the permitted actions more selectively for security reasons.

Comments
Jin Zhou commented Feb 28 '13, 8:02 a.m.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Would have it a try and update you with the results.

Best Regards.

Jin Zhou commented Mar 01 '13, 8:05 a.m.

Have confirmed with the customer.

They have already checked all the access permissions to the role.
Issue's still there.

Regards 

W Diu commented Mar 01 '13, 10:15 a.m.

Hi Jin, you mentioned that they checked the access permissions to the role; however, I am wondering if they also checked the permissions to the "Everyone" role (in case the role that was expected was not assigned correctly to the user)?
What is the "Process" being used?  Would it be possible to try making a project with the "Blank" process to confirm that it is not a permissions problem please?

Also, please go to https://server:port/jts/admin#action=com.ibm.team.repository.manageUsers and click on the user that's trying to do the import.
1) In the Repository Permissions section, is JazzUsers checked?  Also try to check JazzAdmins temporarily.
2) In the Client Access Licenses, is Rhapsody - Designer-Floating checked?

For the user vvc_user, in the Client Access Licenses, is VVC Application-Internal checked?  In Repository Permissions, are JazzAdmins and JazzUsers checked?
For the user dm_user, in the Client Access Licenses, is DM Application-Internal checked?  In Repository Permissions, are JazzAdmins and JazzUsers checked?

W Diu commented Mar 07 '13, 1:03 p.m.

In addition to the above, are the usernames ASCII characters?

permanent link
Peter Farrell (16) | answered Feb 26 '13, 10:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jin, is the customer running WAS 8.0.0.3 or later? If they are can you check to see if they have the following custom property set in Session Management: InvalidateOnUnauthorizedSessionRequestException

This value can be found by logging into WAS Console and going to:

Server->Server Types->WebSphere Application Server->Server1->Session Management->Custom Properties

If it is not set then add the new variable and set it to true. Then Restart WAS and try the scenario again.

There was a similar issue in CLM that caused problems when logging in and out of one user then logging in as a different user. The error was different but the scenario seems similar. In our case even though you logged out of one account and into another it still tried to use the credentials of the previous user. I think it is worth a try to see if this solves there problem.

Comments
Jin Zhou commented Feb 28 '13, 6:28 p.m.

Thank you, Peter.

Customer is actually using WAS 8.0.0.3.

As what you described, I have ever learnt in some cases, after logout from the previous user and login again with another user account, the previous user credential session could still be active and be reused. I suggested  the customer clean the browser history and cookies before retrying import, but unfortunately the situation won't be improved. 

I would ask the customer check the setting in WAS side you suggested above.

Since the customer first time successfully imported a model till the issue being detected, what customer has done to RDM and WAS is adding new users and assign licenses. But I think it's also possible customer forgot something they've done on the settings.

I've got the customer server side logs already, is that OK to send to you or anyone else for investigate on your side?

Jin Zhou commented Feb 28 '13, 7:22 p.m.

Hi, Peter

I checked with the customer, they have applied the setting you suggested already.
They referred to the bellow technotes. But situation wasn't improved.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21609826

Thank You

Peter Farrell commented Mar 01 '13, 12:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I think the problem is in the right hands but I wouldn't mind taking a look at the log files. Please forward all the logs you have to me.

permanent link
Jin Zhou (191711) | answered Feb 28 '13, 8:16 a.m.
 Thank you, all 

For your kind suggestion and spending time on the forum.

Best Regards

permanent link
Jin Zhou (191711) | answered Mar 01 '13, 8:10 a.m.
 Currently.

This issue being escalated to developer side with customer server logs attached.

Got some feeling, JTS probably couldn't successfully check out floating license to web client though free licenses are available in the server.

Is there some command line could be used to testify the JTS stored info and current license status.

Thanks and Regards

Comments
Peter Farrell commented Mar 01 '13, 12:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am not aware of any command line that will report on licensing. If they are using Floating licenses ask them when they hit this issue again to log into an account that belongs to the JazzAdmins account and go to jts/admin. Then go to the

Users->Acquired Floating Licenses

and see what floating licenses are in use and which accounts have them. Are there 5 accounts listed? Is User01 listed? If it's not then double check to make sure that user01 has been assigned the license and isn't using a trial license that may have expired.

I apologize if you have already done this and proven that the license has been issued to the user. I just can't think of anything else to look at until I see the logs.

Jin Zhou commented Mar 04 '13, 7:28 a.m.

Thanks a lot, Peter

I have tried this, all the info confirmed from the web browser looked fine to me.
Actually User01 can successfully modify the model resource and save the change which I believe also requiring Design Manage license. User01 can also successfully create a new project area.

Do you think redo JTS setup could help? If running JTS setup from now, what data currently stored in repository could disappear? Would existed RDM project area still there?  Does client need to create users in JTS again?

Regards

David Hirsch commented Mar 05 '13, 8:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Actually User01 can successfully modify the model resource and save the change which I believe also requiring Design Manage license.
-->
For Import/Publishing (External managed project area) a model Rhapsody requires a Publisher Role, while for modifying a model (actively managed project area) Rhapsody is checking of Editor Role.
That may explain why editing succeeded while importing didn't.
Can you verify the Publisher role is assigned for this user?

Jin Zhou commented Mar 06 '13, 7:20 a.m.

Hi, David

Though I didn't check the customer env by myself, I learnt from the customer they have provided all the roles to User01 with all the access permissions. Customer is an experienced RDM user, I believe there is no misunderstanding in operation.

The strange thing is User01 had ever successfully imported a model by using the same license and same role settings.  Problem has started since customer added another 12 users and repeated login/longout.

From the client browser page, I didn't see any problem, everything looks normal and fine. Really run out of ideas what could be the cause.

Is that necessary to check database info from command line?
Would it be some issue dm process couldn't correctly retrieve the user license info from JTS database?

Best Regards

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.