It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restrict associating changesets to workitems of restricted project

Pavithra Kasturirangan (42955956) | asked Feb 08 '13, 3:57 a.m.
edited Feb 08 '13, 4:00 a.m.
 Hi,

We have an obsoleted project which we don't want to use to update anymore. But for some reasons, a team wants read access to the workitems that are available in the obsoleted project.

Tried, removing all permissions to all roles to all items under permissions section and allowed "Everyone" access on the access control Tab.

Editing the workitems is not possible, but my worry is that it is possible to allow changesets to be linked to these restricted items..

Is there a way to provide only read access but restrict associating changesets with them ?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 09 '13, 7:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Whether or not you can associate a change set with a work item is controlled by the Source_Control->Save_Change_Set_Links_and_Comments operation in the project/team area that owns the component of the change set.

If the work items that you want to allow linked to a change set are in the same project area as the components, then the easiest thing to do is to check the "Restrict associating change sets to work items in the same project area as the component" radio button in the "Restrict associating to closed work items" precondition.  (Note: If you find it unintuitive that this radio button should be in this particular precondition, I agree with you :-).   If your work items are not necessarily in the same project area as the component containing the change set, then you might be able to use the "restrict associating to closed work items" precondition, as long as all the archived work items are closed.  If neither of those preconditions can be used, then you'll have to write your own custom precondition.

Pavithra Kasturirangan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 11 '13, 1:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Pavithra Kasturirangan commented Feb 11 '13, 4:27 a.m.

I Agree to your comments , Geoffrey

Unfortunately, it doesn't help in my case as we do not want to change the state of those workitems and  want to maintain them for history. It will not be possible to apply the operation behavior as all are not in the same state.

@Ralph, I will go ahead with the option of writing an advisor

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.