It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does the background of Flash generated Graphs on Dashboards show up black in Chrome?

Michael Prentice (622913) | asked Jan 29 '13, 12:39 p.m.
edited Jan 29 '13, 12:39 p.m.
Firefox and IE work fine. Only in Chrome (now supported in 4.0.1) do I see this behavior. I am using the webui in RTC 4.0.1 on Windows 7. This is with the latest Chrome Version 24.0.1312.56 m.

The problem is that any of the Dashboard graphs (displayed via Adobe Flash rather than HTML5) are displayed with a black background. This causes all of the text on the graph to be unreadable.

There is a workaround which is to go to the Appearance settings of the graph and check 'Show Background color' and then select a Trim color. This does not appear to work for all graphs though and causes the graph's header to be hidden.

RTC_Chrome_blackBackground

RTC_Chrome_blackBackground1

I don't see any open work items in Jazz to track this. Does someone know of a solution to this within Chrome or should I open a defect with Jazz?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Mike Pawlowski (6861) | answered Feb 07 '13, 3:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The underlying issue turned out to be caused by a 3rd-party browser plug-in installed in Chrome:
RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In (32-bit) - Version: 1.3.0.208 

Disabling the problematic plug-in resolved the issue.
(To disable the plug-in, type the following in the Chrome address bar "chrome://plugins/", locate the plug-in, disable it and restart the browser).
Michael Prentice selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Prentice commented Feb 07 '13, 5:29 p.m.

I ended up re-installing RealPlayer. After that RealPlayer appears to be enabled in Firefox but somehow disabled in Chrome (even with the plugins saying enabled, it isn't active). That is good enough for me as everything works fine in Chrome but downloading videos, which I can do from Firefox just fine and is required on a much less frequent basis.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.