It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SELECTING TWO PROJECT TIMELINES

Rafael Hernandez (3222434) | asked Jan 17 '13, 7:36 p.m.
edited Jan 18 '13, 3:33 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646)

Hi everybody,

Im implementing planning on RTC 3.0.1 and i have the following issue,

I want the team areas to create a plan and to choose between two iterations, i already created 2 timelines (dev and man) and each one contains an iteration

¿Is there any way they can choose a different iteration from two independent timelines?

Thank you

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 22 '13, 4:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A team area can be associated with only one timeline.   So if you want a given team to work on more than one timeline, you will have to create a separate team area for that team for each timeline you want them to work on.  This is useful if team members have different roles in each timeline, but if each team member has the same role in each timeline, this is unfortunate because you have to duplicate this role information in each team area for that team.  Some related work items are Allow the membership of a team area to be inherited separately from the timeline and process inheritance (90831) and Allow a Team Area to be associated with multiple timelines (99436) .  If one of these captures what you would like to do, please feel free to add a comment indicating your interest/support.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Prentice commented May 24 '13, 12:56 p.m.

This is unfortunate because that is our use case. We need the different team members to have the same role across multiple projects. It gets to be quite burdensome to manage all of this across 3 or 4 overlapping projects. Especially when we can't really see any combined view of allocations for all users across timelines. I'll make a comment on 99436.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jan 18 '13, 3:32 a.m.
Plans can only relate to one timeline. See https://jazz.net/library/article/589 for the basic concepts you need to understand. A plan can span several nested iterations, but again, only on one timeline. If you have teams on different timelines, you need to create and use individual plans. If a work item on a plan has a parent that is on a different timeline you will see that. This is, unfortunately, not the case for children on other plans. There are several work items that ask for this. However, today this is not implemented.

In 4.x you can track work on different timelines using a cross project plan.

Comments
Rafael Hernandez commented Jan 21 '13, 1:35 p.m.

Thanks for your answer Ralph,

I need to have two types of plan, a development plan and a maintenance plan for one team area; this is because some of the developers need to realize different activities not related with development (operation, maintenance, migrations, etc),

Is possible that the developers can create an workitem and associate it with an development iteration or maintenance iteration?

I Have the next structure:

• General Timeline
    • Development iteration
      • Analysis iteration
      • development iteration
      • testing iteration
    • Maintenance iteration

But is not working because when i create an workitem for "Maintenance" it shows for development plan too.

Thank you very much for your time.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 21 '13, 1:44 p.m. | edited Jan 21 '13, 1:57 p.m.

Hi, did you actually read the article I provided above? It explains why all iterations show on the plan in your example. If you need independent iterations on independent timelines, you need independent teams associated to the two timelines.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 21 '13, 1:59 p.m. | edited Jan 21 '13, 1:59 p.m.

Ps, if you configure iterations on the same timtline in a scenario above e.g for the dev and the maint iteration, with overlapping start and end dates, the plan calculation will show wrong numbers. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.