It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC work item prefill capability

ed Neubecker (15322847) | asked Jan 16 '13, 1:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would be interested in thoughts around how to help streamline and automate the following scenario with something like a "prefil" option where the end user manages the fields and value set they commonly have to update.

Scenario:
As a Project manger, I have to look at a my NEW change request on a daily basis and determine who gets it and what are the potential impacted assets that are part of this change request.  The classification of the "impacted asset" data is on the RTC work item, and is a set of 5 custom attributes. For me as an PM, I can quickly look at a work item and make a determination and I know what the 5 custom attributes will be.  I would like a way to fill in these values from a template that I personally manage as an end user. (think of it as a prefill of 5 or so fields that automates the population for me. ...almost like what an automate test script would do for me from sellenium).   Or what the CQ "save as template" did for the end user.

Some thoughts so far...
* Work item templates will not work as there would be 100's of end user "prefill" templates and that would be really messy from a UI perspective.
* This needs to be a end user supported option (not a RTC project admin job) as the people I assign to this work item sometime change and I need to manage that for each PM.
* In this 1 RTC project area, there are about 16 different PMs that need this capability unique to their team and assets they are managing.

Any thoughts?

For a user that finds them self  regularly (daily) updating a set of work items (where they have to fill in the same 6 fields everytime)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jan 16 '13, 1:54 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 16 '13, 1:55 p.m.
All I can think of is looking into WorkItem Customization or using a Participant.

For the WorkItem Customization see https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 Lab 4 and 5. Some use cases can be approached with Dependent enumerations, other using role based defaults. JavaScript could be used to some extend, however, you would have to hard code the users and their preferences, as far as I can tell.

You can do more, but that would require Java client and server extensions or custom value providers and I would avoid it if possible.
ed Neubecker selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
ed Neubecker commented Jan 25 '13, 7:26 a.m. | edited Feb 04 '13, 3:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks for the response. Hard coding the preferences is the limitation here. We want to put that "preference configuration" into the hands of the end user (Project Manager) as the preferences will change over time on a infrequent basis (but frequent enough that we don't want to require a RTC project admin to get involved

We were  thinking of creating a work item type called "Task preferences" and it would contain the user preferences. Just not sure how to pull in those preferences when needed.

I'll look into the reference material provided here and comment back on our solution approach.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 04 '13, 3:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ed, you could try to use the HTTP FilteredValue provider and some scripts. See https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 for hints (Jorges blog post). The script could run the value provider, narrow down to the work item you want to use as "Template" and pull the data out of the result set. That would be the simplest solution I can imagine at the moment.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.