It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to properly configure fields for fill in later? default values, user help, something

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Dec 29 '12, 8:30 a.m.
edited Dec 29 '12, 8:35 a.m.
we created a customer defect workflow. One of the sections we added is a 'Root Cause' analysis tab,
that is only visible after the workitem moves to resolved state. This is a new function for our development and sustaining teams, so we want to make it clear what should be in each of the text fields..

one way, is to use some default values, which are deleted by the user and new info typed in.
   hm,.. this default data is stored in the database too, for every defect, from create time on..
   AND of course this data affects the index, and search results.. ugh..

so we have been trying to find a different way that is supportable over the longer history we expect..

the text help (description) has no support for formatting, so its hard to do a bulleted list.. (thee are multi-line fields), and you have to fly over the label to get it to display.
there is no support for real F1 context sensitive for customer created content, and the user would have to press F1 to see the help.. a little more passive than we want.

what we really want is a default value that goes away on its own as the user types, but the data isn't actually IN the field, just displayed when the field is displayed.

so this sounds like Javascript based something..maybe a new presentation style?

anybody have a solution or good ideas here?

thanks

Sam

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 02 '13, 9:20 a.m. | edited Jan 02 '13, 10:07 a.m.

bump to the top of the list

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 02 '13, 9:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I think this is a valid request and I have seen a similar one in the past. I don't have a solution at hand, I am sorry. I think it is a valid request, especially for some of the text attributes. Since you really don't want that data in there, a default value provider seems not a good solution.

I would consider creating an enhancement request or a work item.

sam detweiler commented Jan 02 '13, 9:59 a.m.

thanks..  before I went all the way to an enhancement, I was hoping to at least have a dialog with other users who might have some experience with solving this kind of problem.

we use a default provider now, but are adding a few 100 chars for each workitem created..  pretty ugly..

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 02 '13, 10:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Agreed. Especially since the default value will be, and stay, in the history too...

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.