It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Understanding the version ID in history

Nicolas Dangeville (30612025) | asked Dec 02 '15, 11:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have a question from a customer.

They are looking at the history of a source file in a stream , and have extended the scope with "show all in repository".

Here's the result:

history of a file in all repo

Q1: why aren't the number in sequence (why are we missing 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 14, 15, 17) ? We are seeing all in repository here.

Q2: Why is version 8 showing up twice ?

Thanks !

Nicolas (on behalf of Claude)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Andrew Niefer (7035) | answered Dec 02 '15, 11:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Q1.  Missing numbers are likely intermediate states.

As you work, you may check a file into the same active change set multiple times, each check-in will be a new id.  You can select the drop down menu in the top right of the view and choose "Show Check-in History" to get a new section in the bottom of the view which will show the intermediate states for the selected change.

Q2: Version 8 is showing up twice because the change set on Nov 4 did a "Resolve with Mine" for a conflict.  This is also shown by the dotted line on the merge graph.
Nicolas Dangeville selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nicolas Dangeville commented Dec 02 '15, 11:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ok, so here's how we understand it.

The developer has started his work on v10. He has checked-in twice (v14 and v15). Then he has accepted v13 in v15 and it has created v16 which resolves the conflict. Correct ?

How do we explain that v16 is from 5:22 in the check-in history and from 5:36 in the history of the file ? Is 5:36 when the change set was completed at 5:36 ?

Thanks !

Andrew Niefer commented Dec 02 '15, 1:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I suspect that version 16 is a new check-in that came after the conflict was resolved.  The conflict appears to be "resolved with mine" to stay on version 15.

You are correct that 5:36 will be the time that the change set was completed.  5:22 is the last check-in time for that file, the change set may contain changes to other files not shown here

One other answer

permanent link
Claude MOUREY (9311) | answered Dec 02 '15, 11:29 a.m.
Thanks Nicolas ! I wasn't able to upload the picture, but this is my question !

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.