It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Component deletion

rushikesh sawant (1133) | asked Dec 21 '12, 8:23 a.m.
I can see once the component get added you can not delete it. but you can delete stream. If we are adding component under stream why we can not delete the component?

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 26 '12, 3:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Deleting a stream does not actually delete much information ... in particular, all of the change sets and baselines (and therefore, components) in that stream will continue.  So the ability to delete a stream (which you can do) does not imply the ability to delete a component (which currently you cannot do).   The ability to delete a component is requested in Enable the deletion of components from the RTC Client (93126)

Comments
rushikesh sawant commented Dec 31 '12, 5:01 a.m. | edited Dec 31 '12, 11:04 a.m.

@Geoffrey Clemm : I am not clear with your answer. can you please elaborate?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 31 '12, 11:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

A stream object in RTC is primarily a reference to a set of "change history" objects (which you can think of as being the list of change sets and baselines you see when you ask for the history of a component in a stream).  It also has some metadata, such as a name and description.  When you delete a stream, you delete that metadata, but you don't delete the change set history ... so the change sets that define the configuration of that stream (and the components that contain those change sets) are not affected by the deletion of a stream that references them.

In contrast, a component "contains" all of the change sets and versions for the versionable items in that component, so deleting that component would imply deleting all the the change sets and versions that it contains.  Today you can delete the content of individual versions, but you cannot delete change sets or change  histories.

If there is a particular part of the answer that is still unclear, please identify it and I can try to explain further.

Clement Liu commented Dec 31 '12, 8:46 p.m.

@gmclemm, thank you. It was my question for a long time. Finally I got a clear answer.

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Dec 21 '12, 11:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

currently this is not possible. Please subscribe to the open enhancement 93126.
There are several duplicate entries to this question in the forum.

If this answers your question, please mark the answer as accepted.

Thanks,
Arne

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.