It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to: Assign defect to the user with particular role?

Timur Markunin (6495166146) | asked Dec 05 '12, 6:19 a.m.
Hello!
My client has multiple projects going in parallel with huge number or participants in the process. So after doing his job with the defect user needs to assign defect to the next user but there may be cases when you need assign defect just to a role, for example assign defect to the senior developer of this project and user doesn’t know what’s the name of this developer (s).

Is it possible to implement such behavior? Should I develop some follow-up action for filling owner field or I could use some simpler approach?

-thanks in advance

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Dec 05 '12, 8:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Timur,

there is no way to assign just a role as "Owner", as far as I know. I was not able to find an attribute type "Role" either. In addition there is no way I am aware of to search users and roles in scripts. You can only set the owner value with scripts by passing a valid user ID. 

I am not sure how you want to model this behavior, mainly,because I am not sure what data to use to decide when to delegate to what role and how to trigger this. I would however look into an extension. This participant shows how to access user and role information in a participant: http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/a-create-approval-work-item-save-participant/ and should give you a good idea of options you have.
Timur Markunin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Timur Markunin commented Dec 05 '12, 9:32 a.m.

Thanks a lot, Ralph!

Your answer is very helpful as usual.

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 05 '12, 9:44 a.m. | edited Dec 05 '12, 9:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

How could I miss that there is a Role based value set in the Attribute Customization?

On a second thought, the attribute customization allows you to create value sets that are based on a role and will provide users with that role to select. This might be a potential solution for some of the use cases. One idea would be to

1. Add a custom attribute say "Delegate Developer" which has a value set with a specific role associated.
  2. Have a script based calculated value with dependency to the "Delegate Developer" that uses an entry there on change (if not empty) and sets the owner using the value of the "Delegate Developer" and clears the value of that attribute.
You could have more triggers you use in the script to determine when to copy. The only hard thing is just a state change. But that way you might be able to achieve what you want. Please let me know the outcome. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.