It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Roadmap View

Kris Laughrey (13111) | asked Dec 04 '12, 2:59 p.m.
Can anyone explain how RTC (web client) determines the length/time for each "bar" associated with a task in the Roadmap view?  Currently I have a release backlog that spans from 11/20/12-6/30/12.  I enter a user story on 12/4 with two tasks, both estimated to take 1 hour.  The "bar" for the first task spans from 12/4-12/12.  The "bar" for the second task spans from 12/12-12/20.  I can't figure out how a each task is spanning a week when the estimate is an hour.  If I change an estimate to 4 hours, the "bar" then spans a month?  If anything I would expect these "bars" to span a single day.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ramyashri Mohan (361) | answered Jun 14 '13, 2:52 a.m.

The bar associated with the task determines the duration for which the task has to be executed. It depends on the following parameters:
1) Estimate given to the work item during its creation.
2) Time spent on the task. Time spent can be entered directly if a scrum template is selected,else the time entered in the time tracking tab is summed up and obtained in case of traditional planning. The time spent field is non-editable in case of a traditional planning,but can be edited when one makes changes in the time tracking tab. Time tracking tab allows the user to enter the logged in hours on every day basis.
3) Availability of the user for the project. Check the availability of the user under the Work environment tab and look for the percentage in project allocations. This will give the amount of time the user can spare for a project. Also, check for the number of hours the user works everyday(Workday length and quitting time) and if there are any scheduled absences.

Once all the above factors are taken into consideration, it is easy to understand why the bar which is scheduled for hours takes days and that scheduled for days spans in weeks.

Kris Laughrey selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.