It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Re-Mapping workflow to Work Item types

V Niranjan (12545274) | asked Nov 29 '12, 4:45 a.m.
Hi

In RTC 3.0.1.2 I have Defect and Task using the Default workflow in the formal process.

I need a different workflow for Task and hence duplicated the Default workflow to a new workflow. I then clicked on the link "Check workflow usage in the repository". It gave me a message that I have  work items having a state which is not existing in the workflow.

When I open a work item using the new workflow it shows it is "Uninitialized" and not able to change state.
Before duplicating the workflow I already had few 100 work items of type task and these are now supposed to use the new work flow.

Request to let me know how do I make the already created workitems use the new workflow.

Regards
V.Niranjan

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 29 '12, 7:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Niranjan, this worked for me:

1. Export the ID and State of the work items to be affected by the workflow change int CSV format (only ID and State)
  2. change the work item workflow to a duplicate of the old workflow
  3. All work items of that type have a wrong state now.
  4. Import the CSV export and select to update existing work items to get the state back.

There are alternative workflows:

1. Create a new Type named NewTask with a duplicated workflow.
  2. Change the type of an existing workitem of type task to NewTask.
  3. The state is lost. Set the state back to the old state either manually or use the CSV approach.
  4. Later, remove the old work item type and rename the new one.

As an alternative, you can do what you described above and open the work items. The current state will not be valid. If you change the work item and save it it will enter state new. You can manually set the state.

V Niranjan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 29 '12, 7:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Change the workflow back to the original one allows to get to the old states I think. You might even be able to still export the data if you have the work items in the new workflow. I did not test that.

V Niranjan commented Nov 29 '12, 9:12 p.m.

Thanks a lot Ralph as always. The above solution worked very smoothly.

Regards
V.Niranjan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.