It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Select workitem window (the one used to associate a workitem to a changeset): which workitem in the list if I use * character?

Marco Valerio Way (5089) | asked Aug 02 '13, 12:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If the customer use the star character (*) into the filter field in the "select workitem" window, which workitems will be selected? Is the * considered a special character or it is searched inside the work item?
It seems the list is composed arbitrary using this kind of search character, * is often considered a special character and the user expectation is to have all the WI listed into the window.

thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered Aug 06 '13, 3:25 p.m.
edited Aug 06 '13, 3:26 p.m.
Typing '*' will select all the work items. If there are too many, they would be paginated. If you are not seeing them all, you may have other filters turned on, like - Type of work item, Assigned to me only, Do not include resolved etc. Also, work items are selected from your project area, not all project areas in repository.
Marco Valerio Way selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Marco Valerio Way commented Aug 07 '13, 11:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Surya,
 thanks for your response, I wish to ask you what you mean with "paginated".
When I use * without any other filter turned on, I have a message at the bottom like this: “Showing top XX of an estimated XXXX matches”; there is no way to see others WI then the first XX listed.

Thanks for any comment you would add

Surya Tripathi commented Aug 07 '13, 5:25 p.m. | edited Aug 07 '13, 5:40 p.m.

'Paginated' means, that the result will be displayed over several pages. To see the next set, you will need to go to next page. It is not available in Eclipse client. The WI view in Eclipse will display only 1000 (by default) work items. The 'Select Work Items' dialog, that you see while selecting a work item to associate with a change set, will display fewer work items and there is no pagination. Only web client has pagination. In real life, when you are working in Eclipse client, you do not want to go over 1000 work items. You may just want to know how many work items are there meeting your query (* in this case) and the client will tell you that. It is advisable that you define queries and filter work items appropriately so that the list is small enough for you to work with. The most common use case of 'Select work items' dialog is to select a work item assigned to you.  Also, the idea behind setting this limit is that you would not want to stress the server by running queries that will return all the work items. BTW, this limit is a server property which you can change.

Surya Tripathi commented Aug 07 '13, 6:19 p.m.

Here is how you can change the maximum query result size-
Log in as Admin using the web UI and go to "Jazz Team Server Home" and select the "Application" link under "Change and Configuration Management" On the "Application Administration-> Change and Configuration Management (CCM)" page select "Advanced Properties”. Locate the section "WorkItem Queries" at the bottom of the page. Change the value of "Maximum Query Result Set Size" property to 5000 (or whatever suits you). Make sure to change the value of "Maximum Query Time" property in the same proportion. You may need to restart server.

Marco Valerio Way commented Aug 27 '13, 9:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ok Surya, thanks for your explanation, very clear.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.