It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC and the DB2 Question(Archival and Deleteion)

Dhruv Bansal (1667) | asked Nov 29 '12, 12:40 a.m.
We have the setup of RTC 3.0 with DB2.

I have mainly 2 question as of now.

1). I wanted to archive my closed Work Items in the RTC DataBase, how to do that? Is it feasible to point RTC back to the archived DataBase when and if needed in future.

2). I wanted to delete the streams, workitems from RTC so that the memory could be freed up from the RTC connected DB2 but practically when any work-item/stream is being deleted from RTC its memory usage in DB doesn't get any impact.I guess it is just deleting the reference from RTC but not from the actual DB and even when we make changes in the DB entry in DB2 it doesn't get reflected in RTC(may be the tables that RTC create in DB is too complex to understand).

Comments
Nhi P Ta commented Nov 30 '12, 12:44 a.m. | edited Dec 13 '12, 7:22 p.m.

Hi Dhruv, 

Here is what I found.

I don't think you can archive individual workitem to a separate RTC database. However you might be able to move closed workitems from a project area to an second project area which can be archived. You can unarchived the second project area when required in future.

I am not sure if delete streams will save any database space. As streams are containers of components which contains versioned object. 

It is possible to delete workitems from RTC repository. but not sure if associate metadata get clear complete in database. 

I am interesting other people inputs to this.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Dec 14 '12, 3:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In general there is no mechanism to archive work items to some other database.

1. You could move them to a project area to get them out of the way. That would preserve the links to other work items too.
  2. You could set the archived attribute, however, you will have to account for that filtering them out in queries.
  3. If you archive a project area there is no data that is freed up.
  4. You can delete work items and free up the space, but you would never get them back, as far as I can tell.
  5. If you delete streams, you only delete a very small selector for the components and changes that show up. The changes themselves will not be deleted. In 4.x you can delete change sets and entire objects from the repository. If the they are gone they are gone forever. Be careful. This is something that might be useful to remove big binary files.

That is my current knowledge.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.