It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

More of a suggestion than a question.

Luc Langelier (11111) | asked Nov 15 '12, 11:14 p.m.
I obtained the most recent version of the RTC software 4.0.1.

During installation there are two options, the Eclipse or MS Studio installation.

I selected MS Studio and only after the entire download, install, setup and configuration do I find out 4.0.1 does not yet work with MS Studio.   The MS Studio then became unstable because of the errors.  So now I have to uninstall everything and start over again with 4.0.0.

If the option of MS Studio doesn't yet work it should not be an option.  I would have been just as happy to test everything with the Eclipse IDE.

Comments
Sreerupa Sen commented Nov 20 '12, 11:33 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Luc,
    I'm curious to know what kind of errors you got in Visual Studio once you installed RTC. Did the 4.0 installer let you install on top on VS 2012? or did you have other VS versions installed as well? We didn't support the automatic installation of 4.0 bits on top of 2012 - the user was required to enable the install via an environment variable. Did you do the same?
Cheers
--Rupa
RTC Clients Development Team

Luc Langelier commented Nov 21 '12, 4:10 a.m.

@Rupa,

I was able to track down the source of my problems. 

I was trying to connect to the JazzHub server rather than a server I created.  The JazzHub server is from my understanding, currently running ver 4.0.0.  Attempting to connect to this server from the MS Visual Studio 2012 IDE with RTC 4.0.1 provided me with errors.  Some of the interfaces would not appear in the IDE,. Not pop-up errors so much as it would not work.  The confusion about why it was not working led me to post this initial query/suggestion.  

An actual error message might have helped me identify the exact nature of the problem.  I suspected it had to do with the integration of the RTC 4.0.1 with MS Visual Studio 2012. I then attempted to install the 4.0.0 RTC IDE on the MS Visual Studio 2012 and this was unsuccessful from the onset.  Before the download/install a message appears confirming the 4.0.0 RTC is compatible up to MS Visual Studio 2008.

I have since installed the Eclipse RTC 4.0.0 IDE and connected to the JazzHub and I'm off and running.  

Tim Mok commented Nov 21 '12, 1:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

One issue is using a newer client than the server. It is only supported for an older client (N-1) to be able to connect to a newer server. So using the 4.0.1 client with a 4.0 server is not supported.

Sreerupa Sen commented Nov 26 '12, 4:31 a.m.

Ah I see, thanks Luc. Our clients are not (N + 1) compatible. However if you'd like to install RTC 4.0 on top of Visual Studio 2012, please have a look at the answer for https://jazz.net/forum/questions/81293/when-will-rtc-support-visual-studio-2012-rc. It tells you how to get in installed.

Cheers
--Rupa

3 answers

permanent link
Dejan Custic (2855) | answered Nov 16 '12, 3:40 p.m.
We do support VS 2012 in 4.0.1 and you can view four of the VS client video tutorials that we updated using VS 2012. Here's a video on plans and work items  http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.concert.dotnet.plan.wi.tutorial.doc/topics/rtc_plan_wi_tut_abstract.html

permanent link
Luc Langelier (11111) | answered Nov 15 '12, 11:43 p.m.
Uh oh . . . 

4.0.0 does not work with MS Visual Studio 2012.  But this time I got the alert before the installation.

I might have to go back to drawing board on this.  Should RTC 4.0.1 work with MS Visual Studio 2012?

Is it possible I configured something wrong?  

If RTC indeed is currently incompatible with MS Visual Studio 2012, can I get alerted of when it does work?
Can I be added to a beta testing group of the latest RTC code which may have some functionality with MS 12?

Thank you kindly.

Luc

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Nov 16 '12, 8:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Luc,
support for VS 2012 should come with 4.0.1 - [CCM] Support VS 2012 GA (218540)
This is also confirmed by current 4.0.0.1 prereqs - https://jazz.net/library/article/811
where we officially support VS 2010, 2008 and 2005

Thanks.
Eric

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.