It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Visual Studio Freezing when Class View window is open

Rosario Varriale (11) | asked Jun 15 '11, 5:19 a.m.
Hello,

we are a team divided in two different places. The jazz server is located where the biggest part of the team operates, and the other part of the team works in an office connected through a geographic dedicated line to the jazz server location.
We have planned to operate with RTC and the jazz platform through the visual studio plugin installed in Visual Studio 2005. We are doing some evaluations about this way of operating on our C++ projects and solutions. The people working remotely experiences a freezing of Visual Studio editor when changing any header file while the class view window is open. The people near Jazz server location are not affected by this problem. The freezing lasts some seconds and we are pretty sure it's due to some job done by the RTC plug-in; uninstalling the RTC plug-in, Visual Studio and the class view go back to its standard responsiveness. Our dedicated lines, are quite broadband and we can use videoconference without problems. Is the visual studio plug-in so network demanding? Is there any work-around or option configuration that prevents Visual studio from behaving in such an undesirable way?

Thanks,
Rosario Varriale.

4 answers

permanent link
Priyadarshini Gorur (3313) | answered Jun 21 '11, 5:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Rosario,

I tried this, but couldn't reproduce the problem with the latest. Can you please tell us which version of RTC for VS you are using?

- RTC for VS team

permanent link
Rosario Varriale (11) | answered Jun 21 '11, 5:24 a.m.
Hi Rosario,

I tried this, but couldn't reproduce the problem with the latest. Can you please tell us which version of RTC for VS you are using?

- RTC for VS team

Hi,
thanks for your attention.
We are using this version of RTC plugin: V 3.0 iFix1 (3.0.0.20110305_2036)

Rosario.

permanent link
Priyadarshini Gorur (3313) | answered Jun 24 '11, 7:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks Rosario. I tried in 3.0 iFix1 too, but still can't reproduce the problem. We do some background network operations when you change/save files, but nothing on the UI thread, so you shouldn't see any freeze. Can you please open a work item on jazz.net and attach the logs? That might give us a clue. Please refer, https://jazz.net/library/article/601/#How_Turn_On_Tracing, https://jazz.net/library/article/601/#How_Report%20Errors_VSClient

permanent link
Rosario Varriale (11) | answered Jul 15 '11, 8:33 a.m.
I've just opened a work item, attaching the log (Defeat 171590).
Thank you for you attention!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.