It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Parallel test execution on the same test machine using the command line adapter

Vladimir Sova (23136) | asked Nov 07 '12, 1:23 a.m.
Hi!
When we tried to execute an RQM test suite set for parallel test case execution on a single test machine via the command line adapter we saw that actually only one test was being executed at a time in some random order. We could not find any clue in the official docs or help on whether the command line adapter is designed to act that way or not.

My question is: is it possible to run multiple tests in parallel on the same remote test machine controlled by the command line adapter?

Comments
Ara Masrof commented Nov 07 '12, 7:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Vladimir,

If you haven't already come across this article, I would recommending reviewing it when you have a moment; It provides a good overview of the Command line adapter 

Ara

Vladimir Sova commented Nov 07 '12, 7:41 a.m.

Thanks, Ara, I've seen the article, but it does not provide an answer to my question.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Nov 07 '12, 6:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No.  For parallel execution, you must select a different adapter for each script (see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_run_testsuite.html).
Vladimir Sova selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Vladimir Sova commented Nov 07 '12, 7:45 a.m. | edited Nov 07 '12, 7:46 a.m.

Thank you, Paul. That is what I needed to be able to show to our Customer - a precise statement by someone from IBM. The help topic itself is somewhat vague, since it talks about "most automated test adapters" without naming those that are not among the "most".

3 other answers

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Nov 08 '12, 12:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you want to bring parallelism using single machine, You can consider running multiple command line adapters on same machine. Each adapter should have unique id, the -adapter argument. However it is your responsibility to make sure of two adapters running scripts does not interfere with each other.

Comments
Vladimir Sova commented Nov 08 '12, 1:26 a.m.

Yes, this works, thank you. But still we have to manually assign individual adapters to individual test cases in a test suite, which is tiresome when you have a few dozen test cases running in parallel.

permanent link
Vaibhav Srivastava (2861) | answered Jun 17 '14, 9:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 RQM 5.0 release has a command line adapter which can be used to run multiple tests in parallel. Refer https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/qualitymanagement/entry/running_multiple_tests_in_parallel_with_rqm_5_0_command_line_adapter

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Jan 17 '14, 5:57 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.