It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

New work item attributes not showing up in new or existing stories

Caroline Smith (4611923) | asked Oct 30 '12, 9:35 a.m.
I have spent all morning trying to modify the configuration of our story work items to add 2 new presentations.  I have created the new attributes.  I want to put them into the descriptions section for stories only.  I have tried adding them into the description and the details section but they do not show up when I create a new story or when I open an existing one.  I have run a query and synchronized attributes but nothing changes. 

I have reordered some of the existing attributes to see if those changes are being made and they are.  Also I do notice that when I add these two new attributes to the description section that the layout of the description section changes slightly in the eclipse client - instead of just the title "Description" and a text area, I see the title and then a label both saying "Description" and then the text area.  This makes me think that something is being saved into the description section otherwise the new label would not be there.  But still I cannot see me two new attributes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

One answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Oct 30 '12, 10:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Caroline,

I'm not sure what is going wrong for you.  I just added a custom attribute to the Description section of my Story work item type successfully.  Here are the steps I followed:
  1. Opened the project area in the Eclipse client
  2. Clicked on Process Configuration
  3. In the Configuration tab, expanded Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Work Items > Types and Attributes
  4. In the Work Item Types section, clicked on Story
  5. In the Attributes section, clicked Add....
  6. Named my attribute "customdesc", assigned it type Boolean, and clicked OK
  7. In the Work Item Types section, clicked the pencil icon next to the Work Item Editor drop down box
  8. Expanded Overview
  9. Clicked Description
  10. Clicked Add Presentation....
  11. Chose to Unlock the section
  12. Added an Attribute-based Presentation with Attribute "customdesc" and Kind "Boolean"
  13. Clicked OK
  14. Clicked Save
  15. Created a new Story work item and saw my new attribute
Please try those steps and see if it works for you.

Comments
Caroline Smith commented Oct 30 '12, 10:49 a.m.

Thanks for the reply.

I did it through the web client not sure if that makes a difference.  When I open the eclipse client I dont see any "Process Configuration" tab.  Where would this be?

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Oct 30 '12, 11:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I haven't tried it through the web client, so I'm not sure if there are any things you have to watch out for.  To try this in the Eclipse client, open the Team Artifacts view.  Right-click on your project area and select Open.  In the Project Area editor that opens, you'll see a Process Configuration tab at the bottom.

Caroline Smith commented Oct 30 '12, 11:40 a.m.

Thanks so much, should have done it all along in the eclipse client.  Turns out I created the attributes in a category and not a story so then when I added them to a story they didn't shop up.  It was hard to spot this mistake in the web client but it was glaringly obvious in the eclipse client what was wrong.

Its all working now, thanks again Lauren.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Oct 30 '12, 1:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Glad you got it working!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.