It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Story work items and the Academic Process

John Schilt (6111822) | asked Oct 29 '12, 3:40 a.m.
I have been using the Academic Process for a while, and understand the Assignment > Deliverable > Tasks relationships.

I also use Plans - Work Breakdown and Roadmap views ...  and recently have started using the TaskBoard,

Question :  in the TaskBoard view there is a Story Column.   I have created work items of type Story - but it seems  that these do not fit in well in the Academic Process (ie, Parent / Child relationships).

I've tried a few different approaches, and in the end Assignment > Story > Tasks  seem like a good approach.

I am aware the the workflow for the Assignment / Deliverable may no longer be relevant.

Have I missed something ?  Does the work item Story fit into the Academic Process ?

ps - I'd like to start using Story and the TaskBoard view as it looks like a fun interface to use, especially for younger students.

One answer

permanent link
Adam Archer (83639) | answered Oct 31 '12, 2:59 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The idea behind the Assignment > Deliverable workflow was that the Assignments would outline what students were to work on and that all work to be done would be tracked in Deliverables. If the Assignment was substantial enough that it needed to be broken down into segments, the students could add Stories under their Deliverable as necessary. The flow would basically be Assignment > Deliverable > Story > Task.

It sounds like you are trying to use the planning tools to show upcoming Assignments rather than for a group of students to plan their time on a particular Assignment. Is that accurate?

We cooked up the Academic Process without having it field tested in a real academic environment, so findings and suggestions based on use in real settings area always welcome. Do you have any suggestions for how we might better support the Assignment > Story > Task flow and where Deliverables would fit into the picture? Do you think there is no place for Deliverables when using that model? If so, what is the job of the Assignment?

Comments
John Schilt commented Nov 01 '12, 9:05 p.m.

Thanks Adam.

To answer your question about planning tools : to me this is a major selling point to get students interested in using JazzHub . . . having their work organised and graphically presented is a big plus. I only recently discovered the TaskBoard view of a plan.   I'm now looking into best ways of structuring an assignment to best use the TaskBoard.

Hence my questions.

I will try your suggestion of Assignment > Deliverable > Story(ies) > Tasks

Only issue is - what happens to the Work Item of type Deliverable when viewing the Iteration Plan in TaskBoard view ? 

I am also conscious that by ommitting the Deliverable - that we are bypassing the intention of the Academic Process and the associated workflow that comes with this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.