It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CLM - Active Services show an error instead of the usual stack trace

Zouhair Ramram (34610) | asked Oct 18 '12, 9:45 a.m.
edited Oct 18 '12, 9:54 a.m.
Upgraded from JTS/RTC/RQM 4.0 to 4.0.0.1. Checked the database connection and diagnostics, everything appears to run fine. However, when checking the 'Active Services' section, I get the following error:

Item Handle must not be null
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RepositoryItemService.fetchItem(RepositoryItemService.java:500)
sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor96.invoke(Unknown Source)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:600)
org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:361)
org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.access$0(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:347)
org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord$ExportedServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:56)
$Proxy153.fetchItem(Unknown Source)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.ComponentRepositoryItemService.fetchItem(ComponentRepositoryItemService.java:592)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.ServerStatusRestService.getActiveServiceInfo(ServerStatusRestService.java:336)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:48)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:361)
org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.access$0(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:347)
org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord$ExportedServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:56)
$Proxy123.getActiveServiceInfo(Unknown Source)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:48)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.doModelledRestService(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:541)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.handleRequest2(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:2097)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.handleRequest(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1917)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.service(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1793)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry.internal.ServletManager$ServletWrapper.service(ServletManager.java:180)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ServletRegistration.service(ServletRegistration.java:61)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.processAlias(ProxyServlet.java:126)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.service(ProxyServlet.java:76)
org.eclipse.equinox.servletbridge.BridgeServlet.service(BridgeServlet.java:120)
com.ibm.team.repository.server.servletbridge.JazzServlet.service(JazzServlet.java:68)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
com.ibm.team.repository.server.servletbridge.BridgeFilter.processDelegate(BridgeFilter.java:133)
com.ibm.team.repository.server.servletbridge.BridgeFilter.doFilter(BridgeFilter.java:154)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:224)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:169)
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:581)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:168)
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:98)
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn.invoke(SingleSignOn.java:336)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:987)
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:579)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:309)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:736)

I'm aware that Active Services need to show a stacktrace if it's running well. What can this error point to, I have no idea.

Comments
Bo Chulindra commented Oct 18 '12, 2:44 p.m. | edited Oct 18 '12, 2:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't know what may be the cause of this but the error is occurring while trying to get the information to populate the Active Services page.

Do you see this error if you are logged in as some other user as well?

Jerry Shengulette commented Oct 19 '12, 2:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

A sort-of follow on to Bo's question: what version of Firefox are you using, if you're using FF?  I noticed similar errors in a different context yesterday when I was silently upgraded to FF 16.

Sampath Sriramadhesikan commented Oct 19 '12, 6:29 p.m.

Performed a brand new installation of RTC 4.0.0.1 on WAS 8.0.0.4 with DB2 9.7. Setup, initial configuration completed successfully. 60-day trial licenses activated. And I see the same issue: Item Handle must not be null both in FireFox 16.0.1 and Internet Explorer 9. Ran Diagnostics action, no errors returned. Service Error Summary states "There are no service errors". Will check logs...

Zouhair Ramram commented Oct 22 '12, 3:06 a.m. | edited Oct 22 '12, 3:12 a.m.

@bkchulin Good point. Will try it out somewhere this week. It appears that I was logged as ADMIN even though the LDAP RTC user was used. I'm suspecting something is going wrong between LDAP and RTC. Will let you know my findings.

@shengo The client is considering Internet Explorer to be the standard browser. The error has been found on IE 8.

@chubby821 I'm curious to know what your logs have to say, didn't find an error in mine that could pinpoint to the root cause.

Bo Chulindra commented Oct 22 '12, 9:46 a.m. | edited Oct 22 '12, 9:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

@z: if it appears you are logged in as ADMIN but you are logged in as a different user, it's because the user exists in LDAP but does not yet exist in RTC's database. If you want to see if this is what may be causing the error, try importing your user then seeing if the error goes away. If it still appears as if you are logged in as ADMIN after importing, log out then log back in.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Bo Chulindra (1.3k2718) | answered Oct 22 '12, 1:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I opened a defect which I think explains what you are seeing.

If you are logged in as a user that does not yet exist in the database, then I believe this error will occur. See "Item Handle must not be null" if viewing Active Services page with user that does not exist in repository (237889) for more information.
Zouhair Ramram selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.