It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How is "Behind by"/Ahead calculated for iteration plan

Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | asked Oct 16 '12, 1:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 - Create a PA based on Formal process template
- User_a's work is allocated 100% to Plan_A
- User_a's work from Mon - Fri and 9AM - 5PM
- No absence
- Plan_A starts from 1/Oct/2012 and ends 31/Dec/2012 = 66 working days
- Assign only one WI Task1 to User_a and the estimate time is 180 hours

My understanding is that the "Expected work hour" per day is 180 hours / 66 days = 2.727 hours

If the spent time of Task1 is 0 hours at 9AM on 2/Oct, the "Behind By" is shown as "-2.75 hours".  
If the spent time of Task1 is 0 hours at 17PM on 5/Oct, the "Behind By" is shown as "-13.75 hours".

This is what I expect.  Now I changed the work allocation to Plan_A of User_a to 50%.  However the "Behind By" is still shown as "-13.75 hours".

While Task1 is 0 hours at 17PM on 5/Oct, if I set User_a's "Scheduled Absence" from 1/Oct until 2/Oct, the "Behind By" is shown as "-8.5 hours". (2.75 h * 3 days = 8.25)   

According to my test result, work allocation doesn't affect to "Expected work hours" but "Scheduled Absence" does.  Is this working as designed?

Also please let me know how the fraction is treated. (e.g. in the above case, "Expected work hour" per day is 180 hours / 66 days = 2.72727.. hours)

One answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Oct 16 '12, 1:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Expected hours = (Sum estimates of all work items) * (Available hours from Start date of plan till now/ Available hours from Start date to End Date of the plan) 
The available hours between 2 dates is calculated based on the allocation, work hours and absences of all the users part of the plan.
To validate this for the end of day October 1st we have below values
Sum estimates of all work items = 180
Available hours from Start date of plan till now = 1 * 8 = 8
Available hours from Start date to End Date of the plan = 66 * 8 = 524
Expected hours = 180 * (8/254) = 2.72.
The rounding of the hours is to the precision of 0.25, Hence it has mentioned 2.75 hours.
The reason why the changing the allocation percentage does not seem to have effect on the expected hours because the ratio of available hours will remain same.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.