It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Regression Testing.

Dan Evans (392810) | asked Oct 15 '12, 11:42 a.m.
 Hi,

We're looking to start using RQM version 4.0 pretty soon.  

I was wondering how people manage regression testing.    

My thoughts on it were that we have a regression test plan which simply links test cases that are used in our project test plans (I'm advocating re-using the test-cases by creating test plans which refer to our new projects due to the nature of our work - a few applications with large and lengthy maintenance cycles)

Someone else is advocating changing a category field in the test case which would be 'regression'.  I'm a bit confused by this as it would surely mean changing the test case (as regression tests are only identified after a phased test cycle). 

My personal view is that the usefulness of the RQM is the dynamic linking of test cases to test plans (a danger if not managed correctly -agreed).   So if a test case from a project is deemed useful as a regression test then surely just link it under a regression test plan.

I was just wondering how other people do regression testing using the tool as I just don't understand the advantage of changing a category field.

Many thanks for your time.

Dan.

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Mehaffy (90123238) | answered Oct 15 '12, 12:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Your way would work but why not consider regression as a phase of a test plan - then you could create a milestone for regression testing with a certain duration.  You could create TCERs for the test cases that you want to use during this iteration (milestone).  This way you have one test plan the encompasses the total testing and you can reuse test cases that you had during your normal testing and just run a subset of them again for the regression phase - you could also add "special test cases" that you only want to run during the regression milestone.
Dan Evans selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dan Evans commented Oct 15 '12, 4:17 p.m.

We've planned to have a master plan which highlights the project test strategy and then each child test plan links to a test phase.  Are you saying you would assign the phase in the TCERs

So what would be the advantage to having all the phases in one test plan as opposed to separate phases.  Is this approach the general consensus of how to do it.

Many thanks,

Dan

David Mehaffy commented Oct 15 '12, 5:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes - why use multiple test plans when you are really just going through milestones or iteration of the test.  That is exactly what the test schedule is used for - you can divide up your test anyway you choose, for example you could have iterations(milestones) of Functional Verification Test (FVT), System Verification Test(SVT) and finally Regression Test.  Each of these milestones can have its own duration and you can assign TCERs to each of the milestones (you can have finer grain milestones inside of these - we use weekly milestones and have them assigned to the appropriate milestone - for example weeks 1-4 might be FVT and 5-12 might be SVT and 13-14 might be Regression.  I think child test plans for each milestone makes it more complicated to manage and to role up status of how you are doing.

2 other answers

permanent link
Rajat Singh (59833545) | answered Oct 16 '12, 1:59 a.m.

Hi

You could also make use of the test type.
In our project, we have added custom values like Functional, GUI, Load, Sanity, Regression, etc to the test types.

Best Regards
Rajat

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Oct 16 '12, 3:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Dan,
I understand the point you mentioned. I agree with you, casting a Test case to Regression would be confusing for it's reusability.
I think what David mentioned above is the right approach.
Even if you still consider a separate Test plan for regression. You then don't need any thing else do to. All testcases added under it are for regression. However if regression testing if part of the overall testing effort for a release I would suggest to use what David has mentioned above. identified the Test phase when regression testing to be done. Generate TCER  for Regression test phase, only for the test cases which needs to be regress tested.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.