It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Web and Eclipse timeout

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | asked Sep 04 '12, 4:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi all

Most applications that have logins also have a timeout period when there is no activity.  Does this apply to the web and eclipse clients - and how is it set?  I am looking at the timeout when the user is forced to login again - and I want to be able to set this.

thanks

anthony

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jared Russell (1.3k12019) | answered Sep 04 '12, 5:30 a.m.
edited Sep 04 '12, 5:38 a.m.
 This is defined in the web.xml deployment descriptor for each of the applications:

<session-config>
<session-timeout>360</session-timeout>
</session-config>
Anthony Kesterton selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sterling Ferguson-II commented Sep 04 '12, 10:56 a.m.

Jared,

Is there a different area for eclipse clients?

Jared Russell commented Sep 04 '12, 11:06 a.m. | edited Sep 04 '12, 11:21 a.m.

Because the timeout is defined in the deployment descriptor, it's down to the application server (Tomcat/WAS) to expire the session after the timeout has elapsed. Seeing as the eclipse client just connects over HTTP it should be affected as much as your browser window is.

The only thing that could cause a difference between the eclipse and web-clients is if the eclipse client were to make any sort of periodic background request to the server. If it were to do this, the server might reset the countdown on the timeout.

Anthony Kesterton commented Sep 06 '12, 3:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Many thanks Jared

Cathy Xu commented Dec 04 '12, 3:03 a.m.

Hi Jared,
I tried to change session timeout to 30 minutes. Modified web.xml deployment descriptor of jts and ccm accordingly:

<session-config>
   <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
</session-config>
However, the session does not timeout after idle 30+ minutes after no activity from /jts/admin web UI- no pop up window asking for login.
Another web.xml- install_dir/server/tomcat/conf/web.xml also has timeout set to 30 minutes(by default):

<session-config>
<session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
</session-config>

Tomcat restarted after above changes.

Did I miss anything?
RTC 4.0.0.1 + Tomcat 7.

Cathy Xu commented Dec 14 '12, 2:05 a.m.

Just to update that this change (Modified web.xml deployment descriptor) works. Possible in my first test, the restart of Tomcat did not pick up the changes properly.

Michael Prentice commented Mar 19 '13, 10:12 a.m. | edited Mar 19 '13, 10:29 a.m.

Where is this web.xml when using WebSphere?

Update: I was able to find mine here:
D:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\installedApps\SERVERNAMENode01Cell\ccm_war.ear\ccm.war\WEB-INF

and here:
D:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\installedApps\SERVERNAMENode01Cell\jts_war.ear\jts.war\WEB-INF

I have not yet tested if making changes to it will fix anything. Both are set to a timeout of 6 hours, but users are seeing timeouts of 2-4 hours!

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.