It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC4.0 license terms

Yoshihisa Komai (3002422) | asked Sep 03 '12, 3:20 a.m.
Following question was raised.

In license terms of 3.0.1.x, following thing is stated.
"Mixing Developer 10 Free licenses with other licenses on the same server results in the entire server being eligible for only Jazz.net community support."
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/3.0.1.3

In license terms of 4.0, above statement was removed.
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0

Does it mean that if customers are using Developer for Workgroups or Developer or Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms license mixed with Developer 10 Free licenses and once they upgrade RTC3.0.1.x to 4.0, they can get IBM official support?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rolf Nelson (617159) | answered Sep 21 '12, 10:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Here's the deal on this.  We did not take away the ability for a user to start with 10-free and then go out and buy a  few licenses and mix them.   If a customer does this it renders the entire Jazz Team Server as community supported, just like before.  So in the example above you can have 10-free community supported and then add 3 paid seats and have 13 total that are ALL community supported.  What we did do, starting with RTC 4.0 is allow a user to start with 10-free community supported OR a 10 seat RTC Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack with full IBM support at a very attractive price of $600 per seat for a perpetual license and then just $10/user/month for support in year 2, 3.

You can only have ONE Starter Pack or ONE 10-free installed per Jazz license server group.  You have to use one or the other but not both.  Now there are two ways to get started with RTC 4.0 one gets you 24x7 support and the other is community supported.   If you are currently mixing free and paid you should consider upgrading your 10-free to the RTC Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack as it will turn your JTS into a fully supported 24x7 configuration and then in the example above, it will also enable your 3 "paid" licenses into 24x7 supported licenses so you can have 13 fully supported licenses and then gain access to our bundled DB2 and WAS entitlement as well.   The RTC Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack is also useful when you want to use RTC with other Jazz products like RQM or RRC and get 24x7 support.
Yoshihisa Komai selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Yoshihisa Komai commented Sep 24 '12, 2:55 a.m.

Thank you very much for your answer :)

Maria-Jose Arbulu Barturen commented Jun 28 '13, 6:06 a.m.

Rolf:
I have two questions:

1- assuming a customer mixes 10 free licenses with Floating developer licenses and he does not buy the STARTER PACK, are the Distributed SCM,  high availabaility and HTTP(S) proxy support disabled for all licenses?

2- and if he buys the STARTER PACK?

Thanks.

Karl Weinert commented Jun 28 '13, 7:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Maria,
I kind of answered that question in your other post but the answer is yes those extra features are disabled when you have the Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management trial and starter pack licenses installed even if they are not assigned to the user performing the operation.

Maria-Jose Arbulu Barturen commented Jul 01 '13, 7:10 a.m.

Thanks  a lot, Karl. 

3 other answers

permanent link
T M (8876188143) | answered Sep 03 '12, 8:04 a.m.

You can get support for 10 free licenses but I don't think you can mix unsupported licenses with supported licenses. The moment you get the support for 10 free ones then mixing should be allowed.

Thanks!

permanent link
Yoshihisa Komai (3002422) | answered Sep 04 '12, 4:45 a.m.
There is a following statement in 4.0 license terms.

In order to obtain 24x7 IBM support for your Developer 10 Free licenses, you must first upgrade them by purchasing the Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack.
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0

So customers only using 10 FREE Developers without purchasing the Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack cannot get IBM official support.

Also, I tested following thing.
1, Upload RTC_Developer_Unlocked.jar
2, Enter 3 as a purchased number.
3, Upload RTC_Developer-10_Unlocked.jar

Then, total available number of "Rational Team Concert - Developer" became 13, which I think meas unsupported license can be mixed with supported license.
Therefor, I want to make it clear if customers can get IBM official support when they are using Developer for Workgroups or Developer or Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms license mixed with Developer 10 Free license.

In version 3.0.1.x, they cannot get IBM official support in this case. It is stated as follows.
"Mixing Developer 10 Free licenses with other licenses on the same server results in the entire server being eligible for only Jazz.net community support."

In version 4.0, is it the same?

Comments
Yoshihisa Komai commented Sep 19 '12, 6:46 a.m.

Can anyone answer this?

T M commented Sep 19 '12, 7:25 a.m.

You can't mix!

Yoshihisa Komai commented Sep 20 '12, 8:17 p.m. | edited Sep 20 '12, 8:20 p.m.

What do you mean by "You can't mix!"? As I mentioned, unsupported license(RTC_Developer-10_Unlocked.jar ) was able to be mixed with supported license(RTC_Developer_Unlocked.jar ).

If I misunderstand the meaning of "Mix" please let me know.

permanent link
Yoshihisa Komai (3002422) | answered Sep 24 '12, 4:12 a.m.
Hi Rolf
I got a request from our team.
Could you change the current statement like following?

-Current
2 Mixing Developer for Workgroups licences with Developer or Developer for IBM Enterprise Platform licenses on the same server
  will result in Distributed Source Control and High Availability capabilities being disabled for all licenses on that server.  
 In order to obtain 24x7 IBM support for your Developer 10 Free licenses, you must first upgrade them by purchasing the Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack.
 Only one Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack may be installed per Jazz license server.

-New
2 Mixing Developer for Workgroups licences with Developer or Developer for IBM Enterprise Platform licenses on the same server
  will result in Distributed Source Control and High Availability capabilities being disabled for all licenses on that server.
  Also, Mixing Developer 10 Free licenses with other licenses on the same server results in the entire server being eligible for only Jazz.net community support.
 In order to obtain 24x7 IBM official support for your Developer 10 Free licenses, you must first upgrade them by purchasing the Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack.
 Only one Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack may be installed per Jazz license server.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.