It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question about Plans - Items in teams don't show up.

Zachary K (19354239) | asked Aug 28 '12, 3:48 p.m.
 Hello,
I'm using a project with 3 teams A, B, C in RTC 3.0.1 following the Scrum process template
The project has its own iterations and each team has its own iterations as well as follow:

Main Project Timeline
 - Release 1
 - Product Backlog

Team A Timeline
 - A - Release 1
 - A - Product Backlog

Team B Timeline
 - B - Release 1
 - B - Product Backlog

Team C Timeline
 - C - Release 1
 - C - Product Backlog

Then, I've created items that belong to team A , B and C but they're all planned for the project iteration "Product Backlog"

Now when I create a Plan of type "Product backlog", I select the owner to be the project and I select "Product Backlog" as an iteration. I view them as a ranked list grouped by teams.
My problem is that I don't see any items in the teams since the Plan owner is the project. However, I thought items would show up since teams are owned by the project and all the items are setting in the same iteration "Product Backlog".
Could anyone please let me know I can't display in the plan all the items belonging to the same iteration but owned by different teams (project being the owner).
Thanks in advance for your help

Comments
Scott Dickerson commented Jun 26 '13, 10:45 a.m. | edited Jun 26 '13, 11:35 a.m.

I'm having this same problem and want the same feature.

I want to be able to create Team Backlogs for each team, as well as a unified Release Backlog that rolls up all the stories across all the teams so that I can use the Rankings view in the Release backlog.

Whenever I associate Work Item Categories with a particular Team, instead inheriting from the Project Area, the work items never show in a Release Backlog.

I've tried all the different plan types for the Release Backlog plan, and not been able to get it to roll up these subteams.  I think I've tried all the team organizations too, nesting teams and nesting work item categories, and nothing seems to get the Release Backlog plan to contain more work items than the ones in work item categories that are inherited from the project.

Scott Dickerson commented Jun 26 '13, 11:24 a.m. | edited Jun 26 '13, 11:37 a.m.

Once I checked "Load All Execution Items" in the configuration the Release Backlog actually does load all the subteams items..

I don't want Execution Items, but can filter out the Execution Items once the plan loads.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 26 '13, 11:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As you found out, the label "Load All Execution Items" is misleading.  In the WebUI, it is now more accurately labeled "Include All Items".   That is still pretty vague, but as you discovered, that is the button you need to click in order to include the information from sub-teams in the plan.

3 answers

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Aug 28 '12, 11:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Z K

In the project area configuration can you set the Backlog Iteration Appropriately. 
Open Project area editor in Eclipse, switch to Process Configuration tab. In the Configurations tree select
Project Configurations --> Configuration Data --> Planning --> General

The scenario is as follows.
The project has 3 teams, each has their own time lines and each timelines have the backlogs.
Now you want to see all work items planned for all the backlogs in one plan.
This I feel would not be possible. I will also try this and would get back to you.

Comments
Zachary K commented Aug 29 '12, 9:06 a.m. | edited Jun 26 '13, 11:34 a.m.

Thanks for following up on this Aradhya! Please let me know if it possible.

The reason I want this is to be able to use the ranking. I want to see all the items in the backlog for all the teams in a plan view and be able to rank and move items around from one team to the other.
Is this possible? If so how can I do it?
Thanks in advance.

Aradhya K commented Aug 30 '12, 5:23 a.m. | edited Jun 26 '13, 11:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Suggestions for planning over multiple time lines? this has some information can you go through this.

permanent link
Christophe Lucas (86224948) | answered Aug 28 '12, 4:31 p.m.
Hello Z K,
May I ask you to check:
Open the Project Area, 'Work Item Categories' tab, select the 'Timeline:' little drop box top-right and click '<any>' ... if there, your 'Team A WI Category' is Associated to '<Project Area> [inherited]' (and not to 'Team A'), your work items 'Filed Against' the 'Team A WI Category' will appear in your 'Main Project Timeline'-'Product Backlog', correct ?
(not sure that's what you want though).

Comments
Zachary K commented Aug 28 '12, 5:46 p.m. | edited Jun 26 '13, 11:36 a.m.

Thanks for the reply but I have created categories as follow Team A => Category A and so on... in order to have items visible to teams' members only. If I associate Team A with "<project Area> [inherited]" we'll lose the workitem categorization feature.

Is there a way to create a plan to view its teams' items for a given iteration? After all, teams are owned by a project and it would make sense to view team's items in a plan.
Thank you to let me know.

permanent link
Richard Knaster (23817) | answered Oct 12 '12, 12:13 a.m.
Please try re-organizing your timeline and teams as follows:

Main Project Timeline(timeline node)
   Product Backlog (iteration node)
        Release 1 iteration node)
             Iteration 1  (iteration node)
             Iteration 2 (iteration node)

In teams use the following hiearchy
    Project 1 (associate with the appropriate timeline, in this example, Main)
       Team A (associate with the appropriate timeline, in this example, Main)
       Team B (associate with the appropriate timeline, in this example, Main)
       Team C (associate with the appropriate timeline, in this example, Main)

Be sure that the product backlog is the top node as shown above.

Comments
Zachary K commented Oct 12 '12, 9:09 a.m. | edited Jun 26 '13, 11:33 a.m.

Thanks Richard for your reply. That's exactly what I ended up doing but I'm not completely satisfied because I lose the ability of having a timeline for each team. 

Now I have to go to each team and selected their sprints manually in the reports as I can't rely on "current sprint" selection anymore since there is only one timeline at the project level. 
I need to find a way to remove this manual settings in order to get the reports to display the current sprint info but I'm not sure if this can be accomplished.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 27 '13, 3:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Have you read https://jazz.net/library/article/589 to understand the relationships between plans, teams and work item attributes? A plan only shows items that are related to the owner (and its children) and planned for the selected iteration (and nested iterations) on one timeline.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.