It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why are access groups defined on the server rather than in the project area?

Claudia Callegari (44439771) | asked Aug 23 '12, 8:57 a.m.
converted to question Aug 23 '12, 10:35 a.m. by David Olsen (5237)
To follow up this topic, I have another question, related with the design of this approach... why do the access group need to be created at the server level, instead of within the project area itself?

Having to create the access groups at the server level, requires you to have JazzAdmin. So projects will be dependent on someone having that privilege in order to create/modify the access group and its members. In addition, to help maintenance efforts, it seems a naming convention should be established for the access groups, to avoid confusions, as when you click the "more..." option to restrict a work item, the whole list of access groups are visible and selectable.

I was thinking if it wasn't better to define the access groups within the project area itself, so the management of the access groups is isolated within the respective projects. Is that a bad idea?
-Claudia

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 23 '12, 9:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In general, we'd like to see as much re-use of an access group as possible, including cross-project re-use.  Ideally, I'd like to see access groups reuseable across Jazz applications as well.  But I do understand your point that you'd like to be able to have a project admin create an access group, rather than requiring it to be a JazzAdmin.  It would be a reasonable enhancement request to submit.

WRT what you see when you click the "more" button ... you can only see the access groups that you are a member of.   Note that a JazzAdmin is effectively an implicit member of all access groups, so a JazzAdmin will see all access groups.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.