It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build definition to load code only

Jesse Timbang (3211619) | asked Aug 23 '12, 6:41 a.m.
Hi,

Is there a way for me to create a build definition which, when a request is submitted, will only accept latest code change and fetch code into a file system I have specified? In other words, probably a generic build definition that finishes upon loading of the code? I've looked at the Generic Build Definition but it does not have the Jazz Source Control tab.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 23 '12, 7:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jesse,

I thought that it would be trivial, but I was completely wrong. I assumed you could add the Jazz SCM tab to the generic afterwards. Dead wrong.

What you could do is use a template like ANT or Commandline and just provide an Ant build that does nothing. I have not found a better way so far. Sorry. Feel free to file a work item and let us know the number here.

Jesse Timbang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nick Edgar commented Aug 23 '12, 1:25 p.m. | edited Aug 23 '12, 1:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ralph's suggestion to use a command line or Ant build is a good one, and I'm glad to see you got it working.

The Generic build definition is intended for use when Ant or some other scripting environment, rather than JBE, is driving the builds, so it needs no configuration. For an example, see the standalone example included in the Build System Toolkit: buildsystem/buildtoolkit/examples/standalone/build.xml

Also note that it's possible to configure arbitrary options on a build, if you hold down Ctrl when choosing Edit Configuration from the build definition editor's header menu. JBE still won't let you run a Generic build definition though, since it requires a main phase to be configured, and that can't be edited via Edit Configuration.

One other answer

permanent link
Jesse Timbang (3211619) | answered Aug 23 '12, 7:31 a.m.
Hi Ralph, yes I think the Command Line - Jazz Build Engine definition suits my needs, in the Command Line tab, I can just put in dir or ls and the build reports show that the build is a success.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.