It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRDI setup - Exception while logging onto report server

Prasun Roy (1674813) | asked Aug 14 '12, 11:15 a.m.
edited Aug 14 '12, 1:12 p.m.
 While trying to setup RRDI on the Reporting Server, I am getting errors with the following configuration:

Content DB - On Report Server (Oracle 11g Release 2)

DataWareHouse DB - On Database server (Oracle 11g). There is a single database with all the CLM products pointing to it and have separate Tablespaces for RQM, RTC, JTS and Datawarehouse.

WAS 8.5
CLM 4.0
RRDI 2.0

When I am trying to Validate the "Configure Data Warehouse" step, I get an error that says "The schema RIDW is not empty. No objects can exist under this schema. Drop all objects before continuing."

Is it mandatory to have separate database (instead of Tablespace) for separate CLM tools, in order to access the Datawarehouse from RRDI.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to create a DataWareHouse DB on the Report Server as a separate DB, then the setup goes through to the last step. 

But while executing "Initialize and Set the Rational Reporting style" (in the Build and Deploy Reporting Components step), I get an error that says "No dw connection is found."

And the Report Server log in fails with a java.lang.NullPointerException.

I would greatly appreciate any help regarding this.

13 answers

permanent link
Jin Peng (9634) | answered Aug 14 '12, 10:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The RRDI setup must use empty database as DataWareHouse DB. For your scenario. you can setup first, and then configure CLM products pointing to the DataWareHouse DB next.

For the second question, is it Oracle 64bit or Oracle 32bit? and Have you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include oracle lib path before WAS started? Something like:
SET LD_LIBRARY_PATH=%LD_LIBRARY_PATH%:%ORACLE_HOME%\lib

Comments
Prasun Roy commented Aug 15 '12, 10:31 a.m. | edited Aug 15 '12, 11:05 a.m.

Thanks Jin, for your quick response, I am using 32bit Oracle, RRDI and WAS and I have the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set but still getting the exception. Below is the log from the setup.

10:08:07,016 [http-bio-10443-exec-14] INFO .rational.rrdi.setup.resources.DWCon nectionService - CRRRA0116I: No dw connection is found. 10:08:07,034 [http-bio-10443-exec-15] INFO .ibm.rational.rrdi.setup.resources.R esourceService - CRRRA0137I: Loading the model 10:08:07,035 [http-bio-10443-exec-15] INFO .ibm.rational.rrdi.setup.resources.R esourceService - CRRRA0139I: Loaded the model 10:08:07,049 [http-bio-10443-exec-24] INFO l.rrdi.setup.biserver.service.WasDep loymentService - CRRRA2038I: Connect to the report server. CRRRA3001I: Connecting to the report server... 10:08:09,262 [http-bio-10443-exec-24] INFO l.rrdi.setup.biserver.service.WasDep loymentService - CRRRA2039I: Log onto the report server. 10:08:09,277 [http-bio-10443-exec-24] ERROR onal.rrdi.setup.steps.DeployCognosTo WASStepService - java.lang.NullPointerException

Jin Peng commented Aug 15 '12, 11:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please make sure the configuration for Oracle is correct, and then click "Depoy" button again. 1) Set ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME environments 2) Open Oracle SqlPlus, testing the connect is okay for DataWareHouse DB

permanent link
Leonardo Marzo (24964852) | answered Aug 15 '12, 6:08 p.m.
 I have the same problem when trying to install RRDI. Why the DW must be empty? The data warehouse that we're using has data from the last 3 months. Is there any way to install RRDI without dropping an existent DW?

I will appreciate any help you may give us. 

Regards, 

permanent link
Jin Peng (9634) | answered Aug 15 '12, 10:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Leonardo,
For your case which is migrating from previous RRDI version, you need select to run the scenario "Upgrade to this version of Rational Reporting" in the first page of setup.

Comments
Prasun Roy commented Aug 15 '12, 11:14 p.m.

Jin,

Do you have any suggestion for me, I'm stuck on the last step and unable to complete the setup.

Thanks

Leonardo Marzo commented Aug 15 '12, 11:30 p.m.

Jin, we didn't install previous versions of RRDI, so it is not an upgrade. We upgraded JTS, CCM and RQM from 3.0.1.3 to 4.0, and now we're trying to install RRDI. We set up DW in 3.0.1.3 and then DW worked properly in 4.0

permanent link
Jin Peng (9634) | answered Aug 15 '12, 11:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Leonardo,
I am afraid it is not a supported scenario. For your case, you can skip the step of "Configure Data Warehouse", the way is change the URL from ".../steps/3" to "../steps/4"

permanent link
Leonardo Marzo (24964852) | answered Aug 16 '12, 10:03 a.m.
 Thanks for your answer Jin. However, in the step "Configure Data Warehouse" it says "The data warehouse is a database used for reporting and analytics. You can point to an existing data warehouse or specify values to create a new data warehouse"

So, I think it is a supported scenario. If I skip the step, will I be able to point RRDI to the DW later?

Thanks, 

permanent link
Jin Peng (9634) | answered Aug 19 '12, 10:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, you can skip the step, in "Build and Deploy reporting components" you could met warning that it cannot create the data warehouse data source connection. You can miss it and use the Cognos administrative page to create the data warehouse data source later when logging to the report server.

Comments
Leonardo Marzo commented Aug 20 '12, 5:20 p.m.

Thanks for your answer. Could you tell me what's the URL to access the COgnos administrative page? Thanks

permanent link
Jin Peng (9634) | answered Aug 20 '12, 10:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The default URL is: http://hostname:9090/reporting

Comments
Leonardo Marzo commented Aug 21 '12, 8:14 a.m.

I accessed this URL but I don't find any option to configure the DW there

Leonardo Marzo commented Aug 21 '12, 11:10 a.m.

Jin, the problem is that, in the "Launch" menu I only find the option "Drill-through Definitions". I don't see the option "IBM Cognos Administration". Could you please tell me why It may be happening?

permanent link
Jin Peng (9634) | answered Aug 24 '12, 3:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The reason is uncertain, please raise a PMR to the support team for your case.

Comments
Prasun Roy commented Sep 13 '12, 5:12 p.m.

It seems RRDI doesn't work with WAS 8.5 and you need to use WAS 8.0 for the setup otherwise the setup fails on the last step.

I installed WAS 8.0 and tried to setup RRDI and it went through without any issues.

permanent link
Manoj Panda (39336662) | answered Dec 20 '12, 12:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Prasun/All,
  I am using WAS 8.0.0.3 (32 bit),  DB2 , CLM 4.0.1 and RRDI 2.0.1 (32 bit). I am facing the similar issue when i reach to the last step while setting up the RRDI.

From the RRDI log file, i am getting following error.

12/20/2012 22:32:58,044 INFO  com.ibm.rational.rrdi.setup.resources.DWConnectionService : CRRRA0116I: No dw connection is found.
12/20/2012 22:32:58,077 INFO  com.ibm.rational.rrdi.setup.resources.ResourceService : CRRRA0137I: Loading the model
12/20/2012 22:32:58,080 INFO  com.ibm.rational.rrdi.setup.resources.ResourceService : CRRRA0139I: Loaded the model
12/20/2012 22:32:58,104 INFO  com.ibm.rational.rrdi.setup.biserver.service.WasDeploymentService : CRRRA2038I: Connect to the report server.
12/20/2012 22:32:58,600 ERROR com.ibm.rational.rrdi.setup.steps.DeployCognosToWASStepService : com.ibm.rational.rrdi.setup.biserver.common.RRDIBIServerException: CRRRA2083E: Cannot connect to the report server.

Any Idea!!!

Comments
Prasun Roy commented Dec 20 '12, 2:52 p.m.

Hi Manoj,

For starters, Which version of DB2 you are using (32bit or 64 bit). Make sure you use 32 bit DB2 as rest of your configuration is 32 bit. Exactly same issue is reported for Oracle database, refer to the link Workaround : RRDI Setup exception. So you need to make sure that the DB2 database instance is created with the same name as the Service that represents the instance.

permanent link
Manoj Panda (39336662) | answered Dec 20 '12, 10:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks Prasun for your quick reply,
I understand that all the bits should be same including DB2. Yes I have 64 bit DB2 but 32bit of WAS. This may be one of the issue. your 2nd statement is "DB2 database instance is created with the same name as the Service that represents the instance" 

Could you please explain with an example.

Comments
Prasun Roy commented Jan 04 '13, 7:53 a.m.

Hi Manoj,

Hope your issue is resolved by now.

I'll try to elaborate on my 2nd statement.
If you use Oracle or DB2 then for every database instance you create the database system creates a windows service that represents the respective databases. Every service has its own port no and a unique name. External system address the databse using this service name and port no. While creating a database instance you get an option to select a name for the database and the corresponding service. Its a good practice to select a common name for both.

YOGESH LOKHANDE commented Apr 01 '13, 10:18 a.m.

I have same issue but DB is SQL server 2008 R2

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.