It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Deleting Work Items Permission

Muktar Mohammed (1311924) | asked Aug 07 '12, 11:04 a.m.
 Hello there,

The documentation for deleting work items says:

"To delete work items, you must be a member of the JazzAdmins or the JazzProjectAdmins repository group; and, in the project area or team area, you must be assigned a role that has permission to delete a work item "

I've a user who is a member of the JazzProjectAdmins repository group and member of a team area with a role that has deleting work items enabled.  Although all the conditions are met as outlined int the documentation, the user cannot still see the 'Delete Work Item' icon.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Aug 07 '12, 2:21 p.m.
As much as I know the text is wrong. You have to be in the JazzAdmin group.

What I did to have a similar functionality:
- Create a ProjectArea "Wastebasket" with same process. (Best is if you share the process from one central template project area).
- Create a Category "Wastebasket "in the ProjectArea "Wastbasket", because some workitems have the category set as mandatory field.
- Give some people of the projects access permission to the "Wastebasket"

Now the selected user of the project area (which have access to the "Wastebasket") can use the "Move to other Project Area" action on the "Work Item" Editor UI. Only drawback is security because Work Items in the "Wastebasket" are visible for other people than just the teammembers of the original Project Area.

Empty the "Wastebasket" is so just the job of an JazzAdmin.

Another concept is similar, but you just create a Category "Wastebasket" in your Project Area. But then the project has always to filter them out in queries etc..
Muktar Mohammed selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Daniel Pool commented Aug 09 '12, 4:15 p.m. | edited Aug 09 '12, 4:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am running RTC 4.0 and am able to delete work items. I have Jazz Project Admin permissions. I am logged in with a project role of Scrum Master. And I have granted the Scrum Master role permissions to delete work items. Is it possible the work item you want to delete is in a team area with different permissions defined for deleting work items?

Muktar Mohammed commented Aug 10 '12, 10:41 a.m.

Guido,

Thank you for your slick workaround. I might have to implement your solution if all fails.

Thanks again.

Muktar Mohammed commented Aug 10 '12, 10:52 a.m.

Daniel,

I'm running RTC 3.0.1, and it looks like it behavior is different in 4.0. I've to test this in 4.0 and see if it works as described in the documentation.

Thank you for your reply.

Andrew Codrington commented Aug 16 '13, 10:09 a.m.

I found this thread after having a discussion with a colleague this morning. We were saying it seemed hacky and wierd that we had created a 'Trash Can' timeline/category/team to allow users to get their mistaken Work Items out of the way until an admin could find the time to delete them from the repository. Glad to know we weren't missing something obvious!

6 other answers

permanent link
Christophe Lucas (86224948) | answered Aug 07 '12, 2:48 p.m.
Just to check ... the place where I know the 'x Delete Work Item' appears is : in the Eclipse Client, open the work item itself, and right next to the work item number (on top of the window), click the little triangle, which will open a menu (with 'Copy Id and Summary', 'Copy URL' etc) including the 'x Delete Work Item' option. 

Comments
Muktar Mohammed commented Aug 10 '12, 10:32 a.m.

Thank you for your reply Christophe. However, my users will only be using only the web client, so it's not really feasible to do this in the Eclipse client.

Thanks again.

permanent link
Nhi P Ta (18841018) | answered Aug 07 '12, 8:10 p.m.
I think you will also need to be in an Administrator of the project area to have the ability to delete workitems.

To confirm if you have Project level admin on a project, open the project in RTC Eclipse Client and navigate to the Overview tab and check if you are in the list of "Administrators"

Make sure you have "Work Items" - "Delete Work Item (server)" - "Delete a Work Item" Permission set on your project role.

Comments
Muktar Mohammed commented Aug 10 '12, 10:36 a.m.

Nhi P Ta, actually it's not necessary to be an Administrator on the project in order to delete. I have users that are not an Admin on the project but are in JazzAdmins repository group who can delete a work item in this team area.

Thank you for your reply.

Nhi P Ta commented Aug 12 '12, 8:01 p.m.

Muktar, you are right with JazzAdmin access you should be able to delete work items. I should have stated that the above answer was for users with non JazzAdmin access.

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k2135139) | answered Feb 25 '14, 9:39 a.m.
In actual fact, if you have the JazzProjectAdmins repository permission you do have delete capability of individual work items (with a role that has that permission)

Here's the caveat though ... this is valid for releases 4.0.2, 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 - however after an upgrade to 4.0.5 it no longer works

Comments
kavita herur commented Apr 11 '14, 4:59 a.m.

Hi Karen,

I am looking for import option it was working earlier with JazzProjectAdmin permission in RTC 4.0.1 but with RTC 4.0.5 its not working.

RTC 4.0.5 "JazzAdmin" is required for import operations?

Thanks,

Kavita

permanent link
Christopher Alderton (622) | answered Jan 30 '14, 6:26 p.m.
I create a superuser role that has some permissions, including deleting work items. So "normal" team members could move the work item to the wastebasket, and then a superuser could decide whether to delete the work item or move it back.

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k2135139) | answered Apr 11 '14, 6:33 a.m.
Nothings changed - I have JazzProjAdmin role and I'm still able to import - and I can also delete individual work items - bulk delete of work items does still require the JazzAdmin role

I have a custom role also that I call CCM Administrator - and give it all permissions at both the team and project areas - the upgrade to 4.0.5 added a couple of new entries and in some cases also updated the process templates with new "operational behaviour" elements.

I know its still working because I just populated two new systems from csv data - if the import is not working validate that your import is not trying to update any fields on your work item that are considered "contributor" - you can only update those if the users identified are on the project area - if a user doesn't exist it will stop and report an error that JazzAdmin is required.

Comments
kavita herur commented Apr 16 '14, 8:04 a.m. | edited Apr 16 '14, 8:11 a.m.

Hi Karen,

I am not modifying any contributor while import ,modifying read only filed like status. And I observed some time I would get error "Bulk Work Item" update is not allowed.

Actualy  want to give import cabability to Role1 and delete Work Item to Role2

Along with "Delete work Item" "Bulk Work Item Operation" permission is also needed? to delete work Item.

If not then "Bulk Work Item Operation" permissions is used for what?

Thanks,

Kavita

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k2135139) | answered Apr 16 '14, 8:13 a.m.
Bulk Work Item permission also allows for updating any enumerated fields across multiple work items in one go e.g. changing the status from for example New to the Closed without having to go into each individual record to do that state change. This feature works for all enumerated fields.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.